Music

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is not the place to ask a classical music question but I am at a loss as where to go next.
I had a piece of classical music explained to me many years ago. The explanation was what the composer portrayed by the music.
It was almost pictorial after the explanation was given and what it described was the path of the River Volga from it's source to it's mouth in the Caspian Sea. The themes of the music in sections portrayed a hunting scene and a wedding ceremony as the river flowed it's course through several villages and towns. The music get's increasingly dramatic as the river gains strength until it finally reaches the sea.
Now the trouble here is that I know the music quite well but I can't remember it's name or it's composer I therefore can't trace it down through the Music sites or Google searches as all I know about it is that it is a description of the River Volga path to the sea.
Any smart classical enthusiasts out there that can help me, or even suggest a place where I can search or ask.

Sponsored Links
The only one that comes to mind is the " Song of the Volga Boatmen" as sung by Paul Robeson many years ago. ;) ;) ;) ;)

This is what you're after Hysteresis,,, Bedrich Smetana's "Vitava",,, a beautiful piece of music.

Sponsored Links
Thank You SO much Roughcaster - That is the very piece Of Music I have been trying to locate for years.
You will appreciate the problem of Identifyiny it with niether the name or the compser - virtually impossible unless you actually hear it and even then you will have missed the title from the introduction
This was the first classical piece my music teaches described to me in pictorial terms and as such it became totally understandable to me as a descriptive piece of music.
Thanks again for the link, I will now download it from iTunes.
Brillient.

I knew exactly what you were after whenever i read your description Hysteresis. The Vltava is just that,,, a small brook working it's way to the river, then to the sea, getting stronger and more powerful as it journeys on., and the music interprets the delicate beauty and power of that journey It's one of my favourite pieces too. I listen to music like that when i'm working, almost every day.

Sponsored Links
Back