Pallet shed music room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

New here today but have a quesiton for you.

I'm currently building a recycled music room, a place for me and my friends to sit and play music without disturbing the family.

Its 20ftx10ft and so far the whole build has cost me a bunch of nails and screws and a bit of wood from the timber yard (for the joists) but other than that I managed to source 202 wooden pallets for free, they were destined for landfill or the bonfire.

So far the build is going really well (even though i'm sick of the sight of pallets) with all the floor and walls up and the roof joists on but its the floor that I am keen to get sorted properly now.

I want to do it with old Scaffolding boards, but can i can't find anywhere local to me (Reading, berkshire) that sells reclaimed scaffolding boards... of course i want a reasonable price but I can't find any so wondered if anyone on here has any know of where some might be hiding?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
try ringing round your local scaffolders as they have to replace them every so often I believe..

Just out of interest, what did you build your pallet shed on? Did you prepare some sort of base first?

Sponsored Links
Here you go:

house%203.jpg

:LOL:

No, I couldn't make it any bigger!

Scaffold boards tend to be used to destruction, so any unwanted will be in a very poor condition.

I'll try and get some pics up over the weekend, i've got lots of them but my firewall at work won't let me upload pics, so i'll have to do it from home.

For the floor I first laid paving slabs in strategic load bearing points across the base area, this created a nice underfloor ventilation point of about 2 inches off the ground, each slab was pre covered with damp coursing.

Then braced 3 pallets together using already de-nailed pallet wood. 3 pallets together worked out at just a tad over 10ft in length and the first ones were laid across the slabs, after that followed another 3 braced together and then laid along side the original 3, then those 6 were braced together and so on until I had just over 20ftx10ft of floor space.

The thing is I could clad the floor with yet more pallet wood.. had already thought of that and i'm sure it would be fine but I just wanted a selection of nice long scaff boards to give the floor even more strength and some nice thick boards which would break up the monotony of pallet wood LOL :)

Its been a great project so far, reminds me of playing with giant wooden meccano or lego, pre fab building blocks and its all free :)

right... managed to sneak off from the wife for 1/2 hour to get the pics together... hopefully they upload ok.

029.jpg

029.jpg

029.jpg

029.jpg

Last pic was taken last weekend before the door was fitted, next step is the window frames in this weekend which I managed to get off my neighbour who just so happened to be having double glazing fitted, so I had their old windows and frames :)

Roof won't be staying as a tarp, just covering it until I can get hold of the ply for the roof boards... coming on nicely though and its as solid as a rock!

:LOL: :LOL: robinson crusoe eat your heart out.

shouldnt have any issues with ventilation there then.

excellent. :LOL: :LOL:

I must say I'm suitably impressed.. well done..

for plywood, look for building sites that are comming to a close as they normally take down and dump the plywood fencing that they erect to keep the kiddies out.. ( it's cheaper to buy new for the next site than to transport and store the old stuff.. )

you'd be surprised at the amount of stuff that ends up in the skips..
approach the site foreman and ask if he minds you having a mooch through the skips once a week or so ..
as long as you keep it tidy, you save them money by not having to empty the skip as often.

Cheers guys, its taken a relatively short time to erect to this stage too, 1 day to collect all the pallets, 1 day to lay the floor and 2 days to erect the walls and get the joists on... last weekend was the most frustrating day because although we worked on the structure all day there wasn't any significant visual improvements as it took time to brace all the pallets together and to fit the door frame.

A mate of mine said about the plywood fencing around building sites... we've got a lot of building going on around our way at the moment with a new housing estate literally being sneezed up (they go up so quickly!) so i'll make some enquiries... didn't; even think about their skips being a great place to source wood offcuts too - nice one! :)

I've got a weekend of cladding this weekend, yet more pallets to break LOL you do get sick of the sight of them after a while.

kudos for the build, very enviromental as well.
One thing, the blue pallets you are using are Chep pallets and they get a bit anal about their pallets, they belong to chep and noone else and should be returned blar blar blar :rolleyes:

Oh blimey... they'd better not want them back after the effort i've put in, I never knew that :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back