Pallet shed music room

Hi Kelly, I have just joined this site based on your project alone, we have been planning almost the identical project for over a year and are planning to start work on ours in August, looks like a cracking job so far.

The only difference with ours hopefully is that we want to put in patio windows on the front, these can be sourced from glaziers who often skip them.

Have you got any more updated pics of it yet ?

Sponsored Links
Oh blimey... they'd better not want them back after the effort i've put in, I never knew that :(

Paint them a different colour quick ;) ;) ;)

Nah seriously Chep UK are almost paranoid about their pallets. Get the cladding on before anyone notices . Nice job ;) ;) ;)

Hey all.... been a while as its been a busy summer but thought for anyone interested i'd post a couple of updated pics on the progress of the Pallet build.

Done a lot since the last postings of course, clad the whole things on the outside, fitted the roof and covering, installed windows, door and floor boards all either reclaimed or recycled thanks to neighbours.

Its been treated all over outside with Creotreat which was a delight to use I have to say.

Guttering and water butt have been installed and i'm now about to start on the inside walls... not bad progress with the busy life I have although I had hoped it would be completed by now, looking to be done by Xmas I hope)

outside all clad with door and windows in, door and windows thanks to neighbours who were having uPVC put in....
de2.jpg

Roof cover is one massive sheet of Rubber, it was bought new, one of the only things on the build that I actually thought real long and hard about as it wasn't reclaimed or recycled but figured to ensure its long life and water proofness i splashed out a bit... just short of £300 in all but worth it for the protection and SO easy to put on... recommend to any flat roof owners out there
de2.jpg

A little bit of tarting up on the inside... bit premature as I still have to clad the inside but the floor boards are down and i've started sanding. I'm basically going to nail a piece of pallet over the holes creating a kind of ridged wall effect, but once sanded I think it would look lovely.
de2.jpg

Anyway... just thought i'd share for anyone interested or anyone looking to build themselves a hideaway in the garden.... still a bit stuck for heating. Considered wood burner but the whole thing is overlooked by trees so not very possible, its either Gas or Halogen... any recommendations?

Thanks

Kelly

Sponsored Links
It kind of reminds me a bit of a hide, both in and out. Blends in well. Probably turn up and bill oddie is there.

Nice of you to give us an update and very good it looks too.
Shouldn't be to much of a problem to have a wood fire in there though, you'd just need some sort of spark arrester fitted to the flue. The sort of thing that is fitted to thatched buildings, can't help with a name but a google should bring something up.

Its more the cost as well... woodburners and flue kits are pretty darn expensive, its weighing up the long term benefits of fitting a wood burner vs the cost of a calor gas heater and running costs... especially as this is only a weekend retreat for me, the lads and a few brews.

trouble is I keep coming back to the woodburner as they are so nice, what better on a cold winters eve than sitting in front of a nice fire.

I'd hate to burn it down as well, after all the effort building it, pallet wood seems to be incredibly combustable.

@0000 yeah I know what you mean... It was kind of the point to ensure it blended in well with the background, which it really does so i'm pleased there.... might not be so pleased to find Bill in there though, especially if he's raided the fridge! :)

So its been a while... been busy as you will see. Thought i'd send through my last updates on the Pallet shed seeing as this weekend I finally finished it :)

Walls all filled and floor sanded
46d.jpg

End wall with bench seat all finished
46d.jpg

Didn't go for the woodburner in the end just down to the safety aspect of it being in a shed built of pallets... so I just project a fire onto the end wall instead :)
46d.jpg

So that's it... been 13 months in the to the day, literally a shed load of pallets, a few splinters, some hard graft and a load of knowledge learnt along the way for this complete DIY novice.

It's been fun and i'd recommend it to anyone, the results from using just pallets, I hope you'll agree.... are stunning!

Hey guys,

Quick question... hopefully i'll get an answer here if not where's best on the forum to get an answer.

Anyway, now winter is setting in, i've got the heating on in the pallet shed. Heating is a 4kw gas heater and although it gets nice a warm, around 20c on 2kw settting there is a noticeable layering of heat.

Its odd, nothing i've ever seen or felt before... we're sat on the sofa and the temp is about 2oc, stand up and the temperature is 24c, it's like a lot of the warmth is sitting about 4 1/2 - 5 feet off the ground and not moving.

Does that make sense to anyonw and if so, how do I circulate the air better so that there is an even distribution of heat rather than this layer??

many thanks

Kelly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back