must I use a single MCB to protect a ring?

I am interested in the sometimes-heard idea that a lot of load at one end of a ring can cause damage

remembering that, if enough current was travelling down one leg to start warming the cable, its resistance would increase, and more current would go down the other leg, I would be really interested to see an example where an unevenly spread load has, on its own, caused a problem.
From http://www.cirris.com/testing/temperature/copper.html
If the temperature co-efficient of copper is 0.393%/°C then, at a design limit if 70°C and a design ambient temperature of 30°C, the resistance of the short leg will only be increased by a maximum of 16% when hot. I don't see that this will protect it from overheating beyond 70°C.

However, I take your point. If it's never happened then why worry?

Sponsored Links
The current design assumption is that load is evenly distributed.
How? The only way you can meet the requirements of regulation 433.1.5 is by you, the designer, ensuring that the positioning of sockets is such that it is not possible, via 13A-fused plugs to create an overload situation. If you do this, then there is no need for your way-too-elaborate and ill-conceived arrangement.

... my suggestion increases the capacity to 40A. This is not possible with a radial circuit as you cannot get two 10mm² cables into a 13A socket.
What on earth do you think people want to plug into your socket circuit? Sensible design tends towards fewer points on a greater number of circuits, rather than, as you seem to be suggesting, a greater number of points on fewer, uneconomically designed circuits.

So a circuit design that almost guarantees to create overloads is not brilliant, is it?
It is if it stops your cables melting! Oh, sorry, you mean the current ring main? No, that's my point, but my suggestion goes some way to improve it.
No, it doesn't. It really doesn't in any practical sense.

We already have the answer; it's how the rest of the world wires up sockets.
Yes, European houses used to keep a large bag of fuses to hand! At least the MCB means they can now unplug and reset without buying a new fuse.
Non-sequitur. Irrelevant to your argument.

Then what possible advantage does your even more complicated ring have?
1. increased safety
2. increased distributed capacity
3. keeping cables you can bend with your fingers
Responses:
1. Not at all. Not one bit.
2. At the expense of discrimination and by using a lot more copper cable.
3. No change then.

Seriously. The only sensible way to design circuits for use by ordinary persons is to adopt radial circuits throughout and absolutely discontinue the [pretty much discredited] practice of installing ring final circuits (not ring 'mains' by the way). It is certainly not a good idea to introduce even more design constraints - as your plan does - when most electricians do not understand the constraints that already exist.

Sponsored Links
Seriously. The only sensible way to design circuits for use by ordinary persons is to adopt radial circuits throughout and absolutely discontinue the [pretty much discredited] practice of installing ring final circuits (not ring 'mains' by the way). It is certainly not a good idea to introduce even more design constraints - as your plan does - when most electricians do not understand the constraints that already exist.
Yes, I think we got the message, you will NEVER under NO CIRCUMSTANCES work on a ring main circuit. Unfortunately, that leaves you with a single double gang socket on each 20A circuit unless you like explaining why the consumer can't plug things in where they want. We've already covered that double gang sockets should be protected to 20A.

If you go the European route with no fused plugs, then you have to rate the MCB to protect the smallest flex on that circuit. We could then go back to 5A and 15A plugs. Alternatively, you could have the European system where you can plug a light flex into a power circuit :(.

The ring main may not be perfect, but it is far more convenient to a bozo than multiple radials.

For from introducing design constraints, my suggestion liberates the design from ensuring/gambling on an even load distribution.

Yes, I think we got the message, you will NEVER under NO[sic] CIRCUMSTANCES work on a ring main circuit.
You obviously didn't get the message though. For, say a kitchen, where the plugged-in loads are known, rarely altered and the socket positions relative to the consumer unit position are easily designed to be in the middle portion of the ring without unnecessary lengths of additional copper cable, the current ring circuit design can be a good solution to serve the kitchen alone. (Although an additional worry is the very few installers who know how to test such circuits correctly)

Unfortunately, that leaves you with a single double gang socket on each 20A circuit unless you like explaining why the consumer can't plug things in where they want.
A 20A ring final circuit on 2.5 sq mm pvc cable may serve an unlimited number of socket outlets over a floor area of 50 sq m. That's easily enough to cover the first floor of most houses. Alternatively a 32A radial socket circuit with 4.0 sq mm cabling may serve up to 75 sq m. Maybe you don't understand the concept of diversity, but these circuit arrangements have proved themselves over years of use.

If you go the European route with no fused plugs...
I see where you are confused. I never mentioned Europe. I meant that we should opt for radials as the first choice, only considering rings where we have a really good reason to do so. A good reason would be fixed, high loads on circuits of great overall length, such as, say stadium floodlighting.

The ring main may not be perfect, but it is far more convenient to a bozo than multiple radials.
It's not a ring main - they operate at 11,000 Volts generally - it's a ring final circuit.

As for convenience, a greater number of simpler, independently protected circuits is a far better option for your beloved bozos than a small number of circuits whose design constraints the majority of qualified electricians do not fully understand.

You have obviously given your idea some thought, but your conclusions are somewhat dubious. I would not trust an electrician to design a circuit such as you suggest, so where does that leave the average DIY tamperer and the legions of poorly trained workers who carry out much domestic installation work?

Given that the original design rationale for the introduction of ring final circuits into local authority housing following WWII was flawed at the outset, what possible benefit would accrue from building on those shaky foundations and introducing further opportunities to get it wrong?

From a different thread:
I have no access to my lighting rings...
See, there's part of the problem. I'm sure 'thecommiser' isn't a bozo, but he seems to think his lights are wired in a ring. This is quite common. We don't want even more confusion out there, do we? ;)

The current design assumption is that load is evenly distributed.
How? The only way you can meet the requirements of regulation 433.1.5 is by you, the designer, ensuring that the positioning of sockets is such that it is not possible, via 13A-fused plugs to create an overload situation. If you do this, then there is no need for your way-too-elaborate and ill-conceived arrangement.
So, if I understand correctly, for an uncontrolled ring final, assuming a CCC of 20A and an MCB of 30A, you would want the sockets to be in the middle 1/3 of the cabling. You have mentioned extra cable, which I surmise ensures this design 'rule'. This also makes it more likely for a ring final to become too long - so you may need more circuits to keep them short.

... my suggestion increases the capacity to 40A. This is not possible with a radial circuit as you cannot get two 10mm² cables into a 13A socket.
What on earth do you think people want to plug into your socket circuit?
A couple of fan heaters, a hair dryer, iron and plasma TV at least.
Sensible design tends towards fewer points on a greater number of circuits, rather than, as you seem to be suggesting, a greater number of points on fewer, uneconomically designed circuits.
With my hypothetical quad-pole RCBO, there is no need to make the design "uneconomical" as both ends of the ring can supply at least 20A (which is suitable for living rooms) and the middle of the ring can supply up to 40A (which is suitable for kitchens).

1. increased safety
2. increased distributed capacity
3. keeping cables you can bend with your fingers
Responses:
1. Not at all. Not one bit.
2. At the expense of discrimination and by using a lot more copper cable.
3. No change then.
1. OK, with your 'centre 1/3' rule as I have inferred. But it frees designers of that constraint and/or the assumption of even distribution. It completely eliminates the possibility of localised load overloading a single cable. It also protects the cable in case of a continuity failure. An MCB only directly protects the live conductor(s), my suggestion protects all 4 live and neutral conductors - isolating the whole ring final on any overload.
2. Actually, without your 'centre 1/3' rule, there will be cable savings as cables can be as short as physically possible and fewer circuits are needed. (There will always be good reasons to separate circuits but I don't think that load distribution on a ring final should be one of those reasons.)

It is certainly not a good idea to introduce even more design constraints - as your plan does - when most electricians do not understand the constraints that already exist.
On the contrary, I am suggesting a circuit protection that is easier to design with - no consideration needed for portable load distribution nor individual cable lengths. Sockets close to the CU can be supplied by a short cable carrying most of the current because that cable is individually protected.

why not split your ring into two 20A radials, you get the 40A you crave.

Multiple radial circuits have so many bonuses, a few would be -

a - easier to design and install with less constraints
b - easier to add onto in future, you can spur from a spur
c - less cable used as there is no return leg
d - four radials in a house instead of two rings leave you with more working outlets in the event of one circuit failure.

why not split your ring into two 20A radials, you get the 40A you crave.
I can see there might be some benefits (although not as many as my hypothetical suggestion). I already have one 20A radial supplying fixed loads in the kitchen (washer, boiler, cooker hood and gas igniter). The portable appliances in the kitchen are supplied by the centre of the single ring final.

Multiple radial circuits have so many bonuses, a few would be -

a - easier to design and install with less constraints
b - easier to add onto in future, you can spur from a spur
c - less cable used as there is no return leg
d - four radials in a house instead of two rings leave you with more working outlets in the event of one circuit failure.
(a) and (b) OK
c - not sure that multiple radials will use less cable than a single ring final
d - but maybe more likely to fail (trip)

When a teenager concentrates most of the load on their bedroom 20A radial, it is more likely to trip than a 30A ring final shared with the old fogies. Now whether that's a bad thing...

Anyway, this has been an interesting hypothetical discussion. Thank you all for joining in. It has justified my initial concerns about ring finals.

Back to the real world; we've got a one bedroom converted flat to reconfigure/rewire. I'll certainly consider all the points that have been covered today. Maybe separate radials for lounge and/or bedroom and dressing room/laundry (?) and a ring final for the kitchen (keeping to the centre 1/3). I'll carefully consider what, if any, work I can do myself. (I'm thinking mainly of running conduits in new partitions.)

So, if I understand correctly, for an uncontrolled ring final, assuming a CCC of 20A and an MCB of 30A, you would want the sockets to be in the middle 1/3 of the cabling...
That's about the size of it. Because you can't be sure what will get plugged into which sockets, the only way you can ensure a reasonable load distribution is by avoiding clusters of sockets close to the start/end of your ring.
With my hypothetical quad-pole RCBO, there is no need to make the design "uneconomical" as both ends of the ring can supply at least 20A (which is suitable for living rooms) and the middle of the ring can supply up to 40A (which is suitable for kitchens).
So, you propose a circuit design which now requires people to understand what load they can attach, depending on the geography of your socket layout. I think you'll find that users are neither interested, nor capable of understanding this concept.

1. OK, with your 'centre 1/3' rule as I have inferred. But it frees designers of that constraint and/or the assumption of even distribution.
No it doesn't. it means designers and installers will have to guess where the bigger loads might be concurrently applied and you could end up with some very interesting cable routes.

It completely eliminates the possibility of localised load overloading a single cable.
At the expense of a level of complexity which is neither sensible nor required - because a radial socket-outlet circuit will already do the job without any special rules for how the circuit is used.

It also protects the cable in case of a continuity failure.
By converting a strange kind of a ring into a lower-rated radial.

An MCB (or just 'circuit breaker' as they have been called by the British Standard for almost twenty years) only directly protects the live (line) conductor(s), my suggestion protects all 4 live and neutral conductors (neutral is a live conductor, by definition) - isolating the whole ring final on any overload.
Single-pole isolation is both safe and normal, but if you want to isolate both live conductors - that's line and neutral - feel free to procure a caravan consumer unit.

2. Actually, without your 'centre 1/3' rule, there will be cable savings...
No. Rings always use more cable than you would use if you supplied the same demand through radial circuits. That's one of the things they really got wrong back in 1947.

(There will always be good reasons to separate circuits but I don't think that load distribution on a ring final should be one of those reasons.)
Quite right. If you read Reg 314.1 you will see that rings are not even mentioned. This still does not mean that a ring final circuit should be the automatic choice for socket-outlets.

...I am suggesting a circuit protection that is easier to design with...
No, you're not. Keep it simple. Rings are not only not simple, they are fundamentally flawed in design, poorly installed, rarely tested and are only tolerated by the use of a 'deemed to comply' regulation which almost nobody seems to follow.

I do follow your argument, by the way, but you are trying to solve a problem which need not exist.

And given that I teach electricians for a living (not children, by the way, grown-up, already qualified, adult electricians, from a wide range of backgrounds) I can assure you that the proportion of sparks that would understand what you are suggesting is very low indeed.

I can assure you that the proportion of sparks that would understand what you are suggesting is very low indeed.
I appreciate that Electricians don't generally have Physics A-levels or Engineering degrees.

Thanks for an interesting exchange and your persistence/patience. My side was hypothetical, so largely a waste of time. However, rest assured that, as a consumer/landlord, I now have a greater appreciation of the complexities of circuit design. At least I spotted that ring finals can be flawed. Maybe the 'centre 1/3' rule, as I called it, will be useful to alert me to some unnecessary design problems.

I'm almost smug now that I chose to use a 20A radial for some fixed loads. Initially, I thought I was almost cheating not to use a ring final.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to prevent plugging a fan heater and a hair dryer into a double gang socket - so it'll have to cope. If it not designed to cope there should be an indelible label saying so (or a separate 13A fuse) - but there isn't.
No, there isn't.

As holmslaw has already said, twin socket outlets are only required to cope with 20A. Manufacturers are free to make them so that they can handle more, MK for example (IIRC) make theirs to support 26A, but no matter how much you dislike it the fact remains that a BS 1363 compliant socket only has to be able to handle 20A.

Unfortunately, that leaves you with a single double gang socket on each 20A circuit
Don't be ridiculous.

Don't be ridiculous.

A couple of fan heaters, a hair dryer, iron and plasma TV at least.
What - all at once? What kind of house has all those going on in the same room?

With my hypothetical quad-pole RCBO,
What's hypothetical about it?

http://www.gepowercontrols.com/10086/pdf/residential.pdf

http://uk.farnell.com/merlin-gerin/c60hb420/mcb-20a-4pole-type-b/dp/1421093

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back