Musty smell but no damp - do I need additional air vents?

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a continuing thread for me, but we did have some damp in a newly plaster wall in a downstairs wc - source of damp was broken guttering, which has been fixed.

Plaster now completed dried out but cannot get rid of the musty smell that I would associate with damp.

I have check under the floors, solum all clear and dry - external wall dry - guttering doing its job - so no signs of continuing damp or causes of damp.

The smell appears to build up overnight and i can smell it in the downstairs hall when I come downstairs - I assume because the doors have all been closed overnight and no fresh air coming in thru front door.

I am going to get a couple of the damp guys round to have a look, but perhaps unfairly, I do not always trust what they say ie just looking to make money off scared homeowners with statements about rising damp, etc.

However, I though it may also be down to the lack of air vents to the solum - I only have 1 under the sitting room bay window to the front of the house and whilst the air can circulate under the floor, I thought that it may isnt getting close enough to the wc, which is the opposite side of the front of the house.

Any thoughs welcomed! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the leak went unchecked for a while the ground under the house will take months to dry , how long ago was everything fixed?

Fixed back in march/April and all appears to be dry - I have easy access to under the wc floor and the solum looks completely dry and doesn't have a damp/musty smell, same with the inside of the external wall, part of which will be below ground level.

Bit of a continuing thread for me, but we did have some damp in a newly plaster wall in a downstairs wc - source of damp was broken guttering, which has been fixed.

Plaster now completed dried out but cannot get rid of the musty smell that I would associate with damp.

I have check under the floors, solum all clear and dry - external wall dry - guttering doing its job - so no signs of continuing damp or causes of damp.

The smell appears to build up overnight and i can smell it in the downstairs hall when I come downstairs - I assume because the doors have all been closed overnight and no fresh air coming in thru front door.

I am going to get a couple of the damp guys round to have a look, but perhaps unfairly, I do not always trust what they say ie just looking to make money off scared homeowners with statements about rising damp, etc.

However, I though it may also be down to the lack of air vents to the solum - I only have 1 under the sitting room bay window to the front of the house and whilst the air can circulate under the floor, I thought that it may isnt getting close enough to the wc, which is the opposite side of the front of the house.

Any thoughs welcomed! :confused:
How old is the house? Does it have cavity walls. Does the toilet 'pan connector' go through the wall or into the floor /?.
How high is outside DPC from ground level?
Check water level in WC pan before you go to bed- and then check it first thing in the morning -- is there any difference ?

Sponsored Links
house is built c. 1900, solid stone walls, no cavity.

the soil pipe runs under the suspended floor, and i can get access to the solum easily and its all dry, then out of the house.

no dpc but there are no signs of amp, the ground level is low and runs away from the house.

havent noticed a changed in water levels but will check tonight - do you think it could be smells from the drain?

house is built c. 1900, solid stone walls, no cavity.

the soil pipe runs under the suspended floor, and i can get access to the solum easily and its all dry, then out of the house.

no dpc but there are no signs of amp, the ground level is low and runs away from the house.

havent noticed a changed in water levels but will check tonight - do you think it could be smells from the drain?

It's possible. Flush the toilet and see if the water in the pan raises and then takes it time dropping . If it takes longer than a second or 2 to drop to rest level- then -could be a blockage .
1900 house- clay pipes - have been known to deteriorate and crack due to ground movement .
Process of elimination says- if you cant smell anything under the floor and the walls are dry- only place smell can come from is via a level problem with the soil pipe .
Put your nose over the pan- and smell - or alternately- put some bleach in the pan at night and see if the room smells in the morning.
First thing though- is to check the water level in pan tomorrow .
Dont worry- everything is solvable .

Just another thought also. What room is above the affected room ?. Is there a possiblility of a water ingress from there ?.

Thanks for that, will check the water levels overnight.

The house has the first floor in the roof space, and above the wc is just a small eaves void, no pipes of any sort and again is completely dry so no roof issues.

Thanks for that, will check the water levels overnight.

The house has the first floor in the roof space, and above the wc is just a small eaves void, no pipes of any sort and again is completely dry so no roof issues.

WHOOPS !! I just had a thought . You say you had recently had the walls plastered ?? Were the walls 'dry lined' ?. ie:- plasterboard dabbed on ?.

Reason I ask is- Dry Lining Adhesive always smells like a wet dog for quite a while .

Nope, just a skim coat on existing plaster

Checked the water levels overnight and can't see any change!

Nope, just a skim coat on existing plaster

Checked the water levels overnight and can't see any change!

Ok-- thats good . It rules out expensive problems.
so now it's time to get on down and dirty !! You really need to get your nose to each area and start sniffing .
Have a good look around under the floor too- for something that does not have a pulse- and should have one !! ie: something dead.

ALSO-- if the room has a wash basin--- take a sniff at the overflow hole in the sink and maybe remove the 'trap' and clean it out . Could even be a bit of plaster in it !!

Also I may as well mention that 1 air vent at front of house is not good enough--and in fact not much better than none at all. You need vents at both sides of house to get 'cross flow' ventilation .

will check the overflow for smells.

we do have a front and rear air vent so have cross flow under the suspended floor but it is on the other side of the house so i'm not sure how much air floor i am getting under the wc and understairs cupboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back