Will simply keeping a damp room dry remove mouldy smell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a smallish cellar - maybe 12 foot square or slightly more. It is not very damp and has decent ventilation through 3 or 4 vent bricks, but is a bit musty. Clearly there is penetrating damp through the bricks and floor but the ventilation keeps the air reasonably OK, however there is a bit of a mouldy smell and the paint on the walls is very crumbly.

Long term I'd like to tank it but for now, I would happily use it for my exercise bike if I can avoid breathing mould air... it's nice and cool too.

If I got a dehumidifier, would the musty mould smells go simply as the air is kept dryer, or would it just mean the air was dry but still smelled mouldy since the walls would still be dampish?

Is there any particular issue with being in such a space, for someone who has no breathing problems? My wife says it aggravates her asthma, I don't feel anything from short exposure but want to be sure it's not collecting spores in my lungs!

Sponsored Links
For sure it will help but have you considered looking at the Permagard products - in particular the epoxy brush on solution? It could help greatly in the interim.
John :)

Not seen that, I'd figured since the paint was flaking - sort of powdery - any remedial work would require scouring all the walls.

Got a link or do i just Google permagard?

Try Permagard direct......they will also advise you over the phone. I've used their products under some fairly trying conditions, and have had complete success. Correct preparation is vital, of course!

Sponsored Links
i.e. sandblasting the walls? That's the job I'd rather put off - or is it not as hard as I imagine?

I think grit blasting is a bit extreme - but there are firms that offer this. Probably wire brushing loose paint away would suffice.

I haven't done anything in such trying conditions, but I've had great results with fungicidal wash (to kill the mould off) then some of the Zinnser primer and paint products (I can personally recommend BIN and Bullseye 1-2-3). Might be worth ordering their free book (if really is free and they don't pester you). I can't remember where I put mine or I would see if they have a recommendation for you. I know they have a specific product for chalky or peeling paint for instance (though personally I'd remove as much of it as I can) and they do a paint containing a fungicide to stop mould coming through. Many of their products are available in DIY stores and Amazon. When working with mould wear a mask though

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back