my 2 bed building site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
ive just bought a bed semi built in 1891. ive gutted it, had damp proofing done and ive re-wired it all ready for the electrician to come and connect it all up.
now ive got plastering,rendering,plumbing,new bathroom,new kitchen, joinery work all to do.
as its my first house and first major project i was wondering whether anyone has any advice on anything or maybe someone else has done it or doing it and has any tips!

thanks
lauren

Sponsored Links
There's nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end!!!

Don't try to rush things... You'll never get it all done by the weekend! :p

exactly my problem, just like a woman!! want everything yesterday!! lol
thanks

I renovated a 1900 house. In hindsight I think I would have been better off doing all things like plaster work in one go. I did everything a room at a time (after the electrics and plumbing) in an attempt to try and live comfortably in various rooms. This had the effect of extending the time it took to finish (part time I think it was over 18 months). Also every time I started another room the dust went everywhere else round the house.

It's quicker to get everything done at once but hell to live through!!

Good luck. :)

Sponsored Links
would agree with Ian have gutted and rennovated two houses for myself now !st one made the mistake of sorting out the lounge so I had somewhere nice to hide away from the carnage guess what thats just what I did it took me 41/2 years to finish that one next time didn't bother and finished the whole job in 9 months.
Apart from that don't rush, try and do everything properly and if you don't know how to do something ask and if you still think its beyond you then it probably is so get someone in.
Bodges and bad finish take value off your house.
Keep records of all major works you carry out such as damp proofing for when you come to sell.

thanks for the advice.
i was told by family and friends to do one room at a time. tried it and not trying it again.
hope fully plasterers are coming in soon. im getting a empty property grant from the council 50% towards renovation so thats helping loads!
so if anyone is thinking of getting an empty property then look into grants!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back