My bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My bathroom is looking a little tatty and I ain't got loads of money to spend on the project. We didn't do it too long ago (about 6 years) but the tiles around the shower have gone mouldy on the grouting. I also want to tile the floor with something nice. At the moment we have 3/4 plywood down on the floor with those sticky back floor tiles down.

Should I take the floor tiles up before tiling?

Should I unscrew the toilet and tile under it rather than cut the tiles?

The room is only about 6ft by 6ft, where do you start to tile from?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Should I take the floor tiles up before tiling?

- yes

Should I unscrew the toilet and tile under it rather than cut the tiles?

- yes

The room is only about 6ft by 6ft, where do you start to tile from?

- Find the centre point of the floor and dry lay them moving out from there. This will make sure you don't get left with any skinny tiles at edges. Adjust the centre tile slightly if you do, so you are left with reasonable sized tiles at the edges.

I think this information is correct, sure one of the professionals will correct me if I'm wrong :D

Cheers for that info.

I also want to tidy the tiles up arount the shower where the water has made the grout go mouldy and in some places redish.

I have bought one of those grout scrapping tools, can I just remove the top mil or so and then fill it in with new grout?

I also want to change my shower, its one that works from the mains water so all I need is the head and the thing that turns the shower on. Are these all standard fittings? Is this an easy job I.e turn off water, remove old stuff, fit new stuff?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
I have bought one of those grout scrapping tools, can I just remove the top mil or so and then fill it in with new grout?
Rake out as much of the affected grout as you can then clean out loose bits with a brush before regrouting.

I also want to change my shower, its one that works from the mains water so all I need is the head and the thing that turns the shower on. Are these all standard fittings? Is this an easy job I.e turn off water, remove old stuff, fit new stuff?
best to post this question in the plumbing section with a bit more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back