tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has asked me to tile his bathroom walls approx 6ft x 6ft x 8ft high and I am a good tiler but have never charged anybody for doing this, also his kitchen floor needs tiling approx 8ft x 7ft can anybody give me a rough idea what to charge him inclusive of the adhesive and grout also for removing the old tiles

Sponsored Links
£25-£40 sqm for laying the tiles, depending on location & experience; all materials & prep extra.

A word of caution; if you’ve only done this DIY before you are entering a whole new ball park when it’s for gain. I sincerely hope you know what you’re doing with regard to suitable tiling base, tiles, prep & suitable tiling materials; get it wrong & not only will you loose your friend, it will cost you a fortune to put right. ;)

thanks for replies, I know I wont do a bad job because my tiling is twice as good as some that I have seen from so called professionals and my friend has always commented on my work and would prefer me than some cowboy out of the paper who wants money up front for materials

Sponsored Links
I know I wont do a bad job because my tiling is twice as good as some that I have seen from so called professionals and my friend has always commented on my work and would prefer me than
As I said, pro tiling a big step forward from good DIY jobs which you can’t charge on a pro sq/m basis as it will never be relevant. You may be able to plan, cut & lay tiles perfectly but make sure you understand what you’re tiling onto, how to prep it & what specific tiling products you are going to use. Out of curiosity, what would they be then?

some cowboy out of the paper who wants money up front for materials
Requiring payment for tiling materials up front (or at least good a % of it) doesn’t make them a cowboy, its normal practice!

If you start supplying materials without any money upfront then you may soon be working for nothing and giving away materials, if the customer doesnt trust you enough to give you a deposit then why are they wanting you to do the job if they dont trust you. Also, if they arn't willing to pay a deposit, whats to say they will pay anything once you've finished??

I dont want or need any money up front, my friends are going with me for materials etc, I know I wont charge them as much as so called professionals but I know my job will be better than the clowns who tiled it the last time 3 years ago, I will probably charge £400 that is with removing the old tiles preping it and retiling, and as for the floor in the kitchen which you could play stepping stones on, I will charge £250, I know I will be paid because it will take me a bit longer to do but I know it will be done properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back