Is this a reasonable quote for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have had a go at decorating myself in past but I cannot manage tiling. The quote i have from a local tiler has shocked me and i wondered if it was average or quite high? It is 3 years since i had any tiling work done and it was a smaller area in another region but I wasnt prepared for this cost. This is a small bathroom with old but modern ceramic tiles to be removed from approx 12 x 6 ft and 10 x 6 ft to include grout and adhesive, edgings, but not the tiles themselves. The tiler said it is a week's work and says it will be £1593. This does seem very high to me - my husband was a high qualified professional before he retired and never in his life did he earn around what must be, after materials and VAT more than £800 for 5 days work? Now i may be out of touch and this is East Devon not Essex but that does seem a lot to me? Can i have your opinions? The man seemed eager for the work, it is a bungalow so no up and down stairs and we have good parking etc so no hidden problems?

Sponsored Links
You can always go for other quotes Yvonne
but your tiler could easily find nasties in the work such as damp where showers or whatever have been leaking and plaster coming off the wall when the old tiles are removed.
More important is the quality of his work, and if he is very good then I'd consider his quote acceptable.
John :)

It is more money than we are willing to pay so I will try another solution. The tiles are in good condition and clean but I very much dislike a dark green and navy blue small diamond tile and edging which is a bit dated and doesnt fit my decorating plans. Would a tile paint cover the designs evenly and completely? I would prefer a mid blue detail.

Personally I wouldn't touch tile paint for an extra pension...your choice, of course!
Have you considered a product called multiPANEL which is a wall board in 8' x 4' sheets? Expensive maybe, but a really superb finish....locks together and has a variety of finishing trims.
Other makes are available which could well be cheaper - I believe one is called mermaid board but I've never come across it myself.

Sponsored Links
I had not considered that board no but we do need to avoid airspaces between layers as we have a condensation /mould issue in the bathroom.

Wall boards don’t produce condensation or mould issues.....both are caused by inadequate ventilation and perhaps not wiping down the tiles after showering or whatever.
An extractor fan to the outside is essential in any bathroom, and so is the requirement to let fresh air in from somewhere.

We have a fan and the tiles and grout are white and clean but the ceiling often collects has speckly black stuff despite a fan..I am just worried that if there is a space between the BACK of the boards and the tiles that mould will grow there and i can smell stuff like that..cant bear it

Personally I wouldn't touch tile paint for an extra pension...your choice, of course!
Have you considered a product called multiPANEL which is a wall board in 8' x 4' sheets? Expensive maybe, but a really superb finish....locks together and has a variety of finishing trims.
Other makes are available which could well be cheaper - I believe one is called mermaid board but I've never come across it myself.
Where do you buy this from?

Where do you buy this from?
I get my multiPANEL from the local builders merchant, in my case Matthew Charlton, part of the Jewson group.
Delivery is less than a week and samples are available - its pricey though at around £150 per sheet but well worth it! Fixing is by dot and dab fast grab adhesive.

We have a fan and the tiles and grout are white and clean but the ceiling often collects has speckly black stuff despite a fan..I am just worried that if there is a space between the BACK of the boards and the tiles that mould will grow there and i can smell stuff like that..cant bear it
These panels have a plastic laminate on both faces, naturally enough as they would warp otherwise and they dont promote mould - which requires the ingress of moisture to form.
Can I recommend Zinsser anti - mould paint for your ceiling? It really does work.

its pricey though at around £150 per sheet but well worth it! Fixing is by dot and dab fast grab adhesive.
Thanks. That does sound pricey- how big is a "sheet"? But it would be ideal for renovating our only bathroom in the house- which is fully tilled in 1970s blue and yellow that got painted white.
To the OP: that tile paint keeps peeling off!

MultiPANEL comes in the traditional 8’ x 4’ sheets ( metric equivalent) and the thickness is 9mm.
The H lock variety clicks together like laminate along the long length and the joins are all but invisible.
Aluminium trims are available for external and internal corners - these are anodised.

sorry to bang on about this but i am not worried about the boards growing mould so much as the tiles behind the boards?

No worries!
If the boards are fixed to tiles with instant grab adhesive and sealed top and bottom, there’s no way any moisture can get in. Obviously, sealing the boards to a shower tray or bath must be perfectly done with silicone.
Its a good move to keep your extractor running for around 15 mins after showering if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back