My "Bleeding Radiators"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, I am after some advice please. I live in a 3 bed flat which has 6 radiators in it. They are cold at the bottom of the rads and warm/hot at the top.

I assume they need bleeding so did a bit last night, but to not much benefit. Is there a particular order they should be done in?

I welcome any advice on this please

I also have a big problem with my bath hot tap. Been their 3 years and never had a bath, no we dont smell, we have a shower!!.

The hot water tap in the bath always kicks out loads of air, and no matter how long I leave that running for it never seems to get rid of the obvious air lock thats in their. Does anyone have any ideas please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If your rads are cold bottom and warm at the top they don't need bleeding as the hot water is already at the top of the rad rather than an air lock, instead you have the situation where your rads are partially blocked with sludge which needs to be removed from them. It's likely your system has been running for years without any inhibitor to prevent corrosion.

You could try some system flush like Sentinel X400 or Fernox Restorer but that didn't help me when I had the problem last winter. In my case each rad was only hot for not more than the size of my hand in each top corner.

A power flush should help but as with most things in life is not guaranteed to fully clear the blockage. Get some quotes and speak to the pro's.

I took all my rads off and put my brothers steam cleaner through them, looked like crude oil coming out! As they were about 30 years old I chickened out and fitted 8 new rads instead (yesterday actually) in case they had any pinhole leaks.

Once up and running again always have Sentinel X100 or Fernox Protector (or similar) in the system.

How big a cold spot do you have in each rad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back