My Buteline Review - from a small-time property developer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you may remember that a few months ago I had some questions about Buteline, and generally people advised against it. But I went ahead and replumbed a whole house in the stuff anyway and thought I would post my review to help others.

What is Buteline?

Buteline is a plumbing system that uses press-fit fittings using a crimp tool, to mechanically join pipe to fittings.

Read more here: http://www.buteline.com/uk/

Positives
  • The fittings are small. Much smaller than equivalent push-fit. They are hardly any bigger than copper end feed fittings.
  • The fittings are permanent. Once installed correctly, it seems very unlikely that they will ever fail. I subjected a test rig to my own pressure and stress testing and I'm as confident in this stuff as I would be with a properly soldered joint. I can't say the same about pushfit.
  • The solder-to-crimp fittings are great. We all want copper going up to our radiators and Buteline have fittings that you can solder onto the copper. Absolutely fantastic.
  • The pipe seems sturdier than other plastic pipe and very rigid. I couldn't kink the pipe even when trying.
  • The transition fittings (buteline to copper and buteline to speedfit) are superb for joining onto existing plumbing sections.
  • No pipe inserts needed
  • The joint is made to the inside of the pipe. This means you can get away with some light scoring on the outside of the pipe, which often happens when pulling pipe through joists. I still protected the pipe anyway.
Negatives

• The size of the crimp tools is a problem. I had a few problems getting the crimp tools between some narrow joists. The smaller ratchet "pro" crimp tool saved the day but these are much more expensive and...
  • The "pro" crimp tool didn't create as strong joints as the regular (big) tool. I had to cut down some sections and start again with the regular tool. There are calibration instructions for the pro tool, and they come with a little jig to confirm that the fitting has been fully crimped, but I found the jig pointless as some joints still failed the pressure test even though the tool said it was fully crimped and the pipe was fully pushed home. Re-crimping with the regular tool solved solved the problem.
  • The non-standard 16mm pipe is a problem. Imagine you're running your 16mm pipe under a basin and you want to install some isolation valves. Good luck finding 16mm isolation valves. Instead you need to buy 2 transition fittings, 1 for each end of the 15mm isolation valve. At a couple of quid for each transition fitting this makes the job much more expensive than necessary. Additionally, imagine when someone sticks a nail through some 16mm pipe and some poor plumber comes along to solve the emergency, what are the chances of them having 16mm gear on their van?
  • The fittings click when the system is heating up. I'm assuming that this is something to do with the metal crimp fitting. This for me is a real problem as one of the justifications of plastic is that it's far less likely to click than copper. With Buteline you don't have that benefit. The clicking is so damn annoying. And yes everything is clipped appropriately.
Conclusion

I'm torn.

I absolutely love the fittings. They are properly sexy-naughty. Really good quality and very reliable once crimped correctly.

But would I use this stuff again? No. It's too much of a pain in the arse to get the crimp tool in tight sections and you end up spending ages faffing about and trying to plan the runs so that you won't get into any situations where the crimp tool won't fit.

I hope this totally unbiased review helps some of you make a decision about this stuff in the future!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plumberparts James really rates this stuff and says the size of the tools is not a problem. What circumstances were they too big?

While I had heard of Buteline before, it was actually James that reminded me to give it a go.

I’m afraid I had to conclude that James’ review is not credible as he failed to highlight any of the obvious drawbacks that we quickly identified throughout the install.

There were lots of scenarios where it was too tight to get the clamp tool in. The actual mouth of the tool is fine, it’s the long handles that get in the way.

I would consider using it again but only if the pricing was more competitive. Right now there are better plastic systems at lower costs, even when you factor in the cost of inserts etc.

I should also say that this was a very big job. 3 floors, 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 WC, plus 2 kitchens (1 In an upstairs studio) in a very old property.

In a more straight forward new build 3-bed semi you’ll probably run into less problems.

Sponsored Links
I was surprised to see Buteline “sponsoring” his videos, as his channel clearly appeals to DIYers rather than professional plumbers or engineers.

Buteline is definitely not suitable for the general DIYer.

This lot needs replacing for a second time.

Quoting to do it in copper. Properly.

IMG_1674.JPG

Heating system dumping its guts under a wet room floor.

Quality.

Hello All

I use Buteline. and yes think its better than the push fit of any other manufacturer. I have the battery power gun but try to use the hand tools.
Its different to using copper or push fit. You have to think and go about installation in a different way. Buteline also say you can you it for a secondary return on the hot water.

Problems: The pore bugger who goes in after me in how many years or so to make and alteration will have a problem.
Its hard to find stockists. If doing a job with Pushfit and your a fitting missing any manufacturers push fit will fit (Temporary)

But I like the idea wish it would take off as its far more secure than push fit. and copper my preferred material is getting cheaper and nastier.

Bod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back