1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing 22mm to 10mm tees from heating pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by jacoscar, 8 Oct 2021.

1. jacoscar

jacoscar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m removing my kitchen radiator due to some remodelling; it’s fed by 10mm pipes coming from the ceiling and connected to the 22 mm pipes running across the house.
    I’m doing the work from below as the upstairs floor has already been laid and the ceiling is going to be skimmed anyway

The 22 mm pipes run in notched joists and flow and return are very close to each other

I have a few options I think (in order of complexity)

1) cut the 10mm pipes just after the tees without draining the system (just releasing the pressure) and fit push fit end caps, job done?
    2) drain the system, cut the 10 mm pipes close to the tees and solder end feed copper caps
    3) drain the system, cut the tees using a hack saw (they are too close together to use a pipe cutting tool), cut again using the proper tool, add a piece of 22mm pipe + 2 x slip couples for each pipe

Which one would you go for?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Drain down and solder 10mm cap.

4. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Option 1 is going to be messy, even with pressure released there will be a fair drop of water left in the system. Option 2 is the favourite, 3 is a lot of work and not really necessary on a heating system.

• Like Like x 1