My Front Bay & Gabel is leaning forward and few inches dropped front

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello Experts!

I bought a new house about 2 years now, My full building survey did not mention anything about this, but the front Gabel and my front Bay window has dipped down and leaned towards front since we have moved in we have noticed.

I recently changed windows and they also mentioned there is a problem fitting in my front bay due to this reason and some how fitted them and completed.

I now had chance to lift floor boards in the top room and can easily identify the dip ness towards the front bay. Joists actually run from rear to front and stops just before the Bay window half hexagon starts. From there a new joists starts to complete the bay which is now coming off and dipped down as you may see in picture. I have over periods noticed some cracks on Bay window and have filled pollyfilla and have not evidenced any new cracks since then.

At the front of Bay equally I have noticed one main crack but didnot notice much also my wisteria is covered.

Point is that my Lender had a valuation carried and they did not mention any, My seller did not mention any and neither Building survey I carried out. Equally window company that did the bay windows though they mentioned the top Gabel is leaned forward that is causing problem 8n erecting the window they did not mention the floor level is dipped. I am now wondering if the window company has added more pressure and even dipped more?

Please can some one advise me where should I go from now? What needs to be done?

Attachments

• 27734F5C-FA68-491E-BDA4-7B67140351CE.jpeg
    27734F5C-FA68-491E-BDA4-7B67140351CE.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 2EABF36E-0AAC-4F85-8224-51559B5090C8.jpeg
    2EABF36E-0AAC-4F85-8224-51559B5090C8.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 373
  • 22687905-8EA2-402C-8E1A-ADD4AE4BD0B1.jpeg
    22687905-8EA2-402C-8E1A-ADD4AE4BD0B1.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 373
  • 66924E98-9D25-44C9-BF0B-6509B46B5DDB.jpeg
    66924E98-9D25-44C9-BF0B-6509B46B5DDB.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
Premkumar_prem, good evening.

I notice that your information appears to indicate you are based in India??

Are there any cracks between the bay window and the main front elevation? if so how wide are they??

likewise are there any internal cracks in the same location??

When the "new" windows were fitted, can you recall if the installer fitted some steel reinforcing stantions at the external corners?

Ken.

I'm guessing part of the problem is removing the old windows which were a structural element and replacing them with plastic windows.

Hi ya
Yes I am from India but based in London. So the house i am referring to is based in London.

Outside the house Bay there is one small crack at the corner and one small crack in the middle

inside the house bay, there were few cracks on either side of the bay at the time of lifting windows. I have now lolly filled the cracks and cannot see any cracks coming up.

My Replacement of floor boards are now stopped at the bay window. Because it is impossible to fit a floor board to keep the level straight

And I am not sure whom to seek for advise and where the problem could be

Sponsored Links
I suspect the changing of the windows has caused the problem, as the new frames are not strong enough to support the floor and gable.

Were the previous windows plastic? If so the damage could have been done because they did not use structural bay poles. Hopefully the company who fitted the latest windows (and highlighted the issue) used the correct structural bay poles with jacks - which while unlikely to "lift" anything back to where it was before will prevent any further movement, I would check with them - if not, you may have have some recourse through FENSA.
If you're satisfied that it's now stopped moving then put some timber fillets on your joists to level up the floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back