My heating oil boiler stopped but tank got 33cm oil still?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, my oil boiler stopped suddenly though after checks I can see still got 33 cm oil (by stick dip test). Since we are in a heatwave now its OK for not having this now. But I am wondering what could be wrong here to stop boiler? what checks I should try before calling the service engineer...?

Since dip test shows 33 cm, is that could be 33 cm sludge in the tank? I am not aware when last cleaning of tank happened. Is this an opportunity for me to get somebody for clearing that sludge..? How can i check its really sludge in the tank as dip test doesn't give me any clue. I I have n't got a small wired camera either..

I know this expert area only done by qualified people so not planning to do anything stupid!!:(

But DIY checks I could do here to get right engineer. If there is sludge then people to empty tank first, then oil order. If not sludge then order oil first then service engineer to check.

Any suggestion..?

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-13 at 9.38.42 PM.jpeg

Sponsored Links
What makes you think sludge in tank is the problem?
You could check tank filter is clear but I would recommend getting a competent oil engineer to check boiler.

Wet mark level using 'stick test' shows 33 cm oil and oil tap from tank is at the very bottom. So as far as I know there is some sort of liquid inside tank. if its not flowing then it can be sludge only..?

Unknown factor is whether lower oil pressure when tank nearing empty cause oil to stop flowing to boiler..?? Thanks

so your car has half a tank of petrol but wont start, so must need more petrol , honestly the way some people think is mind boggling at times, you have a boiler fault, get an engineer to sort it

Sponsored Links
Wet mark level using 'stick test' shows 33 cm oil and oil tap from tank is at the very bottom. So as far as I know there is some sort of liquid inside tank. if its not flowing then it can be sludge only..?

Unknown factor is whether lower oil pressure when tank nearing empty cause oil to stop flowing to boiler..?? Thanks
33cm is way above the minimum level for an oil tank.

oil starvation due to tank running low is not the cause of your boiler fault

a non working boiler could be caused by a myriad of causes

I would recommend booking an engineer

Im sure the professionals on here will tell me if Im wrong but I thought the feed pipe was set above the bottom of the tank as a sludge prevention -and there must be a filter anyway to prevent contaminants before it reaches the boiler

Surprise surprise..my boiler started working today.
May be some sort of blockage in oil inlet to boiler due to low pressure form tank..?? Any way I need to get engineer sort out the controller issue.
It resets every now and that from timed CH & HW to always on. I am sure this could be sorted with a service of entire system.
Good to see both boiler and ride-on mower are better behaving now.

Thanks for all inputs here.

Happily, the Atkinson system uses a nylon gauze filter -which is easy to clean and doesn’t need to be replaced unless it is split.
Also look for any water in the bowl.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back