Oil boiler not receiving oil

Its a plastic tank about 3 years old, the pipe is copper with plastic sheath underground.

I haven't got a compressor, are there any sort of hand pumps? etc or CO2 types.

Sponsored Links
Catch 22, all depends if you want heating etc for the weekend and how capable you are.

You could go to a Plumbers merchants and buy 25m of I presume 10mm plastic oil pipe and connect both ends to the filter and firevalve as a temp fix till you get the other sorted.

You could then in time bury the plastic, as this is not suitable above ground cos of ultra violet.

Sponsored Links
Not in a rush for heating, we have immersion tanks for hot water.

Whats the best way to clear the blockage?

Compressed air, or you could flush thru with high pressured water, but air is best. Good Luck I,m off to play Golf......oh yes

You need to unblock the pipe opposite to the way it has blocked, so disconnect at the fire valve as before, Disconnect at the filter outlet. Pour a little oil into the pipe at the valve end, and attach your pump. The oil in the pipe will act as a pusher. without it, as soon as there is a little hole, air will pas through without moving the obstruction. If you can get a suction pump, then this attached to the tank end with the valve end in a reservoir of oil will be much more effective.

I have about 20m of 15mm plastic covered copper pipe buried under the garden. I was able to release both ends and then pass down a length of galvanised wire, something about the thickness of a pencil lead, or a bit thinner. Once through, I bent over one end into a loop and secured this over a small piece of cloth to make a cleaning plug. (Plug must not be a tight fit for fear of losing it). Then pull through briskly from far end and that was it.
Even after cleaning, I could not get oil to pass of it's own accord, I had to use a pump to push it through and get all the air locks out, then it ran freely.

andytw

Thank you all! managed to get a neighbours compressor and clear the blockage. Boiler working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back