Oil boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

slight issue with a grant euroflame 50/90.

Burner going to lockout, I've changed the oil pump due to it being seized , boiler then fired up, few hours later lock out light back on, motor working fine, checked all was spinning freely. Boiler making humming noise. Changed capacitor and again all fine, hour or so later it locks out again.

Checked fan moving on motor shaft and noticed it getting quite stiff at a certain point so I removed oil pump and spun fan, totally fine. Moved oil pump spindle and noticed it kept getting stuck so changed oil pump again, hour later ... lock out again! Please help.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Terry.

Good question, no I haven't. The oil was recently topped up abou 2 weeks ago. Would water in the oil seize the pump up within 1-3 hours?

Certainly could.
What was the pump filter on original pump like ?
Draw a couple of litres of oil into clear bottles via flexy hose and let it settle...The water will sink to the bottom.

Sponsored Links
The filter inside the original oil pump was slightly gacked with orangey-brown oil.
Ok will fill up a bottle and check it out. Good idea. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help Terry

Just as I was writing it 'orangey brown' I realised that it was rust haha.

Terry I really appreciate your help. You were completely correct, I dipped the tank with water finder past and it had just over 2 inches of water in it!!!!!!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back