So an update ,
The new capacitor is fitted , had to put my own spade ends on etc but it seems to be working ,
No lock out on start up so far ,
It cost £2.60
So very happy!

Also thanks for the tip about the grub screws , it turned out one was missing putting unnecessary pressure on one side of the shaft which wouldn't have helped things .

Thanks for all the advice!

Sponsored Links
Nice one Mike and thanks for the feedback!
My holiday gaff has a 12/14 Heatslave combi and I have a spare, reconditioned burner ready to go in - just in case.....naturally enough I haven’t run it for at least four years :rolleyes:
John :)

Also thanks for the tip about the grub screws , it turned out one was missing putting unnecessary pressure on one side of the shaft which wouldn't have helped things .

Thanks for all the advice![/QUOTE]
Many burners have only 2 screws holding in the oil pump. The flange into the motor boss is a relatively tight fit. You only need to stop the pump rotating or vibrating in/out.

I still reckon if it runs with the door open but locks out closed that it is flue contamination. With the door shut on those Pandas, it doesn't take too much to upset it and stop it breathing fresh air from outside. Is it top flue or horizontal? I've seen lots of Camrays suffer the same way and as they get older, it is very difficult to get a good lid seal with just the 2 screws if they have been really clamped down and the flimsy 'ears' have been bent down. There is a smell, but not as much as you would be too put off with the ambient odour from many oil boilers.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with you....I’ve seen room sealed appliances get upset by any exhaust issues, no matter how slight.
Anyway, with my system the flue rises vertically for 1m, then 45 deg into a chimney and then vertical for 4m - I guess this is pretty ideal. It has a Colt top as a terminal.
All has been fine since 1986 when I bought the cottage so apart from possible sooting up, nothing has changed.
I’ll investigate further when things warm up a bit!
I appreciate your comments.

I still reckon if it runs with the door open but locks out closed that it is flue contamination. With the door shut on those Pandas, it doesn't take too much to upset it and stop it breathing fresh air from outside. Is it top flue or horizontal? I've seen lots of Camrays suffer the same way and as they get older, it is very difficult to get a good lid seal with just the 2 screws if they have been really clamped down and the flimsy 'ears' have been bent down. There is a smell, but not as much as you would be too put off with the ambient odour from many oil boilers.

If it was room sealed ( B/F ) I would agree. However vitiation of combustion air is easily checked by the insertion of a FGA probe into the snorkel, or in this case the slide on burner inlet and checking O2 content.

I’ll give that a go in due course - sending the fga away for repair imminently.
My problem is I’ve no data at all for this boiler so oil pressure and CO2 levels are guessed!

Last edited:
10.5 % CO2
100 psi / .5 @ 80 AR nozzle
Smoke 0-1
FGT 200°
Draught .02"

From memory!! Then adjust for site conditions.! o_O

Great, many thanks! (y)
I’m running:
11% CO2
110 psi
.60 80 H nozzle.
I’ll try your suggestions in a while - unfortunately the burner is so tight in the casing I can’t adjust the oil pressure so I run it up on the bench.
Cheers again

Just checked with MI's dated1978.

P 55 / 65 Inter 10
FGT 350
Smoke 0-1 Co2 10.5 Draught .05 wg .6 @80 H 110 Psi 19 Kw

Excellent info!
I’m pleased to find I wasn’t far off with my reasoning.
I’ve never heard of an AR nozzle though!
Many thanks for your time (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back