My kitchen refit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to be attempting to fit a new kitchen myself to replace our 25 year old ‘Magnet and Southern' kitchen. They've lasted well but Mrs Mottie fancies a change and a freshen up. We'll be replacing them with 'Magnet' units this time. All major items are either bought or ordered. New appliances being delivered on 2nd May, old kitchen being removed on the 5th, new kitchen units arriving on the 7th, template for quartz worktop being made when I have the bases installed and fitted approx a week after that. Hopefully should be able to do most stuff myself including extending the electric circuit and a bit of plumbing and drainage. Got a mate that can do any plastering for me and another one to help with electrics if needed. Quartz worktops will be supplied and fitted by the company supplying them but may get someone in at the end with a sharp saw and a steady hand to do any skirtings/pelmets/trimmy bits as I don’t have the patience to do that myself.

First thing being removed will be this:

IMG_1275.jpeg

And that will be replaced with three tall units. The light switch has already been moved to the right and the socket outlet will be removed and replaced with two 20 amp double pole switches for the cookers, one in the cupboard above and one in the one below. Integrated fridge/freezer will be fitted on the left, two ovens in the centre (standard single oven with combination microwave oven above) and a larder cupboard on the right. My only compromise is to do away with the breakfast bar so I’ll have to eat my brekkie up the table from now on. I’ve already removed that once to fully fit the LVT flooring that wasn’t fitted below the breakfast bar projection.

These units will be removed and will have wall units going along the long wall only and doing away with the flyovers and corner cupboards. The gas hob will be replaced with an induction one with pan drawers underneath and there will be a quartz worktop with an inset sink.

IMG_1281.jpeg

That’s the plan anyway!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your current kitchen looks really nice!

Thanks. I thought so too but she has decided she wants a change - says she feels ashamed having the same kitchen for 25 years. Real wood doors too - not like the painted MDF ones on the new kitchen. We were going to have new worktops, tiles and the cupboard doors painted but changed our mind. We sold it with all appliances (except the dishwasher and washing machine) for £250. The bloke seemed very happy with it and it saves it going to landfill.

This is a rough idea of how it should look when finished.

SD3.png
Screenshot 2024-03-06 113650.png
SD1.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Shame about the old kitchen as it looks top notch too...but, you cant argue with her indoors!!

Already done a bit of prep work a week or so ago. Moved the light switch to the right and removed the breakfast bar to add some flooring to the section that will become exposed when that is removed. Yes, those are my handprints from 2001.

IMG_6346.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

Made a proper start removing it yesterday. It was fitted by a mate of mine over 20 years ago. Looks like he never connected the extractor vent pipe properly. Either that or it has popped off at some point.

IMG_1486.jpeg

That allowed grease to be blown all over the top of the units. Yuk. Tried removing it with white spirit and then some petrol but in the end, I found it was easy to remove using a sharp scraper.

IMG_1490.jpeg

Last edited:
Cif works great on stuff like that.
I can guarantee it doesn’t! Works great when you’ve removed the majority of it. That particular unit was furthest away from the extractor so was 20% grease, 80% dust. The ones nearest were the other way round. Even petrol on a rag wasn’t touching those!

Out of interest, if you are going to have an integrated tumble drier, which one will it be?

She wot scowls at me when I walk through the door, got Wren to replace the kitchen that I custom made 20 years earlier. We ended up with a Hoover branded heat pump dryer. 3 years down the line, I had to replace the capacitor on the motor. Other than that, it has been fine, takes ages to dry anything though.

Apropos the greasy ick, yeah scraping is the fastest, but you can still use isopropyl alcohol/etc to remove the rest.

We ended up with a Hoover branded heat pump dryer. 3 years down the line, I had to replace the capacitor on the motor.

After this, we just got a basic drier which is in the shed outside. Rarely used so I don’t know why I went for a top of the range heat pump model.

Had enough for today. Just got back from the dump. Have to book a bloody slot nowdays! Tiles off, oven and hob disconnected, time for a tidy up. More hacking off of any loose plaster tomorrow when all the units and worktops have been removed and then get my mate in to give it a quick skim.

IMG_1497.jpeg

Just got a second wind. Trying to get the dishwasher out. Pipes are stopping it. Feck knows how I got it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back