My loft. Is this normal? And should I worry about this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just starting work on clearing the attic and insulating, as currently it's an absolute mess.

The picture of the floor - is that normal? Is it plaster?

The picture of the split beam? Is that another job that needs doing?

Thanks

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
It is not the floor, it is the top of the ceiling. Perfectly normal lath and plaster as used before plaster board was "invented"

The split post is a concern. If it splits further then the purlin it is supporting and the roof above will sag downwards and weaken the roof structure. A tight metal band around the top of the post should be enough to prevent further splitting

To add to Bernard's post id also be tempted to improve the fixing between the post and purlin. Nowadays you'd use a proper bracket with plenty of fixings but even without you could put a couple of decent screws in to fix it in place.

Sponsored Links
With my heating water tank in the loft, the plumber pointed out that I had a similar issue- albeit wi less load

I made a replacement and added it (sistering?) next to th original

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back