My New Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, havent posted in a while so thought id let you all know about my new job! i was recently asked by the neighbour if id like to do her gardening,, so i started as of Thursday. Ive been asked to keep the garden nice and make sure its all watered etc,, is there anything
(not to drastic as im only 13) but is there anything i can do to change or make the garden nicer? i will use this to ask any questions i need to know about or show you all some pics! is there anything so far you can see thiat i could do or clean?? :) thanks youngrough! :)

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add, every change people suggest has to be free, or cost next to nothing as the neighbours is 87 and cant afford much!

Again any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Looks pretty good to me, not sure but, does the flower bed need a weed? You will probably see little things that will make a big difference as you go

Clip back any shrubs, but not to much. You can always take another bit later. Don't forget to say it to your client before doing anything, just to keep everyone happy

Good luck, sounds as though your neighbour is a lucky lady

Thanks! :) yes,, i need to weed everythig and water garden. Ive only startes front the first pic but 2nd will get underway tomorrow anynore tips ypu can give? Thanks again! ;)

Sponsored Links
Well done for taking it on - that's very kind of you! It's a bit hard to see from the pics what you've got there but it looks quite tidy. So, keep the weeds down - pull them when they appear, especially in the paving as once they get a hold they're harder to get out. If you've got anything that flowers, snip the dead flower heads off once they've gone over.

If any of the plants start to get a bit big for their position, some of them you can prune back and some you can split to make new plants. You'll have to learn the names of the various plants and look up what to do with them online.

You've got a big gravel area there, maybe you could put some pots on with flowers for a bit of colour. If you grow things from seed, it's very cheap and you can get bags of Spring bulbs from pound shops, Wilkinsons etc very cheaply - they do well in pots. You can ask friends and family if they have any spare plants or cuttings you can grow on. It's also worth looking at the reduced for quick sale plant section in places like Homebase. You can pick up plants that just need a bit of TLC for as little as 15p sometimes.

You could also try growing some veg for your client. Salad things like lettuce, radishes, spring onions are really easy from seed. It's a bit late for this year but you could start planning ahead for the Spring.

Post any questions that you have and keep the pictures coming!

is there a lawn? are there many leaves to rake up in Autumn? is there room for a compost heap?

Pathclear is "better" than hand-weeding for things like paths that you need to keep clean all year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back