My plumber fitted a radiator pipe too close to the plaster finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He then put a bitumen type oily tape around the pipe and when we skimmed the wall with plaster, the oil from the tape keeps on bleeding through to the paint.

No paint prevents the stain coming through :(

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop the stain seaping though?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of removing the stained plaster then either:

1) coating the denso tape with silicone filler, then plaster skim again?
Or
2) cement render the wall?

Sponsored Links
BTW, posting the same question 3 different times in a 24 hour period is generally frowned upon. It just gets messy.

BTW, posting the same question 3 different times in a 24 hour period is generally frowned upon. It just gets messy.

Sorry -I think I posted in 2 different areas of this forum as wasn't sure where was most relevant....the 3rd post is by someone else asking the same question as me.....

I've used several coatings if zinsser stain cover paint....no joy ☹️

Did you try an oil based paint, or an alcohol based paint such as Zinsser BIN?

The more you let us know, the more likely it is that one of us can help you.

Reading between the lines, you used a water based (Zinsser) product. If faced with that, I would use a shellac based paint such as Zinsser BiN or Blockaide by Smith And Rodgers (in Glasgow).

If you want to minimise the costs of materials, you could purchase a small bottle of "knotting solution". Like Zinsser BIN, it is shellac based but doesn't have any pigment in it (meaning that it is clear).

I don't want to come across as being combative, I am replying because I am trying to help you... however, when you ask the same question repeatedly, it means that "we" end up diluting our advice. That said, yeah, I understand you wanting to cover as many bases as possible.

If you do decide to try knotting solution (or BIN), either purchase a throw away brush, or buy some household ammonia to clean the brush. Ammonia is alkaline, it breaks down the paint and the brush will be as good as the day that you purchased it.

Did you try an oil based paint, or an alcohol based paint such as Zinsser BIN?

Yes I already used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer Sealer Paint White several times and stain still comes through.

Not the shellac product.

Maybe I need a solvent based paint, then paint over again with a Matt emulsion finish??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back