My prized VHS videos need transferring to DVDs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The time has come to face the daunting task of putting about 20 full VHS tapes of home videos on to dvds. I have a VHS player and need to buy an appropriate DVD recorder. Can this task be done easily? Can I do it just using the TV and not my computer? I'm not planning any editing.
Any advice about what sort of DVD recorder to buy? - I dont usually use them as I have SKY, BT Vision and the computer for existing dvd/film viewing. Is the connecting up of these devices straight forward?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I just use a VHS player, a scart lead, and a Phillips DVD recorder.

You can pick them up for sub £100 now, it's easy to do.

Good luck

no, you need to re-inact all the videos and this time use a digital cam!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you all. I am thinking of trying Steve's solution. However my 30 year old sons are not prepared to wear their old nappies and romp around in the sand pit. My wife has tried on here bikini but it somehow didn't have the magic of the 1970's and so I have decided to ditch the project and go for the technical approach. :LOL:

Cheers

Isn't there converter-software for this now scart lead to USB? ..Whether it's effective or not i don't know.

I bought a Panasonic VHS to DVD recorder all in one off eBay, transferred all my home videos onto DVD then sold the machine on eBay for more than I paid for it.

use a VHS to DVD service...I paid £7 a tape and they did all the colour/ timing correction and cleaned up a load of artifacts.

DVD may not be the best format to put them on now as DVD players are a tad obsolete too now.
Getting them into a digital format you can view via a PC/Android device would be more modern.

Get yourself a video capture interface that will allow you to play on your VHS player and record direct into your PC.
That way you can then make DVD#s with the file or store it, put it on the cloud etc. so you can view it anytime, anywhere etc.

DVD may not be the best format to put them on now as DVD players are a tad obsolete too now.
Getting them into a digital format you can view via a PC/Android device would be more modern.

Get yourself a video capture interface that will allow you to play on your VHS player and record direct into your PC.
That way you can then make DVD#s with the file or store it, put it on the cloud etc. so you can view it anytime, anywhere etc.

I'd want to watch on my PS4 Player so yeah DVD would be fine.

I would personally avoid transferring to DVD. Those recordable DVD discs don't last forever.

Instead, I would look at purchasing a VCR with USB output. There are plenty of all in one kits you can buy that include the software too.
You can then transfer the VHS tapes to your PC and once converted they will be files on your PC.

You can then easily transfer them to an external USB drive so you also have a backup too.

I would personally avoid transferring to DVD. Those recordable DVD discs don't last forever.

Instead, I would look at purchasing a VCR with USB output. There are plenty of all in one kits you can buy that include the software too.
You can then transfer the VHS tapes to your PC and once converted they will be files on your PC.

You can then easily transfer them to an external USB drive so you also have a backup too.
Once you’ve got the tape in digital format on a DVD there is a lot of editing software available that you do on your PC / laptop and save to SSD / HDD etc.
Its getting it transferred to a digital format that’s key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back