My Radiators are banging help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I seem to have a problem that no one can diagnose! When I turn on my heating after around an hour 4 of my 5 Radiators start to rattle loudly in my flat. I've tried bleeding them and releasing the pressure from the valve but the only thing that seems to work is if it either turn on the hot water or turn the heating off- it's winter so this is not a possibility! Please if anyone has any idea on how I can fix this! Many thanks :)[/b]

Sponsored Links
Take all the heads of the thermostatic valves and try again

Is it a new installation?I had this problem, one rad was connected in "reverse" i.e. the flow into the return, once identified was easy to fix.

Is it a new installation?I had this problem, one rad was connected in "reverse" i.e. the flow into the return, once identified was easy to fix.

All of the TRVs bar straight ones that I come across are bi directional.

As said take the heads off and see if you still get the same problem, Sounds like the valve closing down on the pin.

Has the rad in the same area as the room stat got a TRV, If it's got one, remove the head

Sponsored Links
Just saying, that's what the problem was with mine, flow fitted to return ,return fitted to flow on the one radiator, on a sealed system with trv's

I wouldn't imagine all the trvs have gone at once but when they start banging just open the trv ie turn from 3-4 and see if this stops the noise. If it isn't the trvs there could possibly be a restriction in the system. Do you have a bypass radiator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back