My shower goes from hot to cold??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me I have a bristan mixer
Shower in my bathroom and when I turn it on it goes hot the after about a few minutes goes cold then goes hot again any thoughts
I have tried the sink and the water stays hot constant on that any ideas anyone thanks

Sponsored Links
New shower, old shower? What model Bristan shower?
New problem, just started or old problem, new house (new to you)?
Type of heating system?
Inside leg measurement?

It's a new house to me just bought it they said they did the bathroom about 5 year ago but never mentioned the problem and since I have had the house 4month it's been doing it not sure on shower model and its just a combi boiler thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the cold mains stop tap making sure it's fully open.

Might not be the fix this time but I've certainly come across a few situations were it as been.

servotech,

I'd run a hot tap elsewhere in the bathroom. If it doesn't suffer similar fluctuations then I doubt it's your boiler.

More likely your thermo (blending) cartridge.

I reckon the blending cartridge has had it. It'll be a plastic thing behind the temperature control knob. They normally unscrew or pull out.

I used to sell this stuff and had to stop using Bristan - the worst service from a brassware manufacturer I have encountered. Equipment is basic (and not totally dreadful) but their design and customer service departments were dreadful (IMHO)

You have said nothing about your hot water source!

If a combi boiler then turn down the hot water temp know a little!

I find that Bristan have solid products and a very good customer service!

The bad one is Triton who make bad products and have bad customer service. I fitted a shower pump which worked for three days! They were not interested and that episode cost me £132 and three hours labour on a Saturday!

Some suggestions although you being shirty with those trying to help doesn't go down too well!

1 Clean your shwoer head or change it if in a hard water area.

2 Combi boilers are sensitive to flow and as such if too low will will turn on and off repeatedly. Getting the flow rate up will help.

That's particularly the case if the boiler is not serviced regularly.

Many of those problems are due to the shower head holes not being kept clean!

Running a hot basin tap at a half flow is likely to cure the problem on a bodge basis.

Tony

Yeh sorry people my bad was having a crap day I appreciate the help
I actually just put the sink tap on half and the shower stayed hot any suggestions on the problem thanks ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back