My toilet cistern keeps making sneezing noise at me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a sign I've given it covid? The cistern - side lever, not top button - or even the supply & drain pipes behind it has started making a sneezing type of noise which I notice when the cistern is full, about once every minute or two minutes. Might also happen when the cistern is empty but it's not empty for long so can't be sure. I've had a look online to see if I can find what the problem is and can't see that as a common thing anywhere. The cistern seems to be working OK other than that - flushes OK, stops when full, no mystery flushes. The clear plastic tube which hangs down into the water (I'm sorry I don't know the correct name) is split but I suspect that wouldn't be in use once it's full. Can anybody guide me on what this problem might be? I'm grateful for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by top button and side lever? Can you post a photo of said cistern?

Modern toilets overflow into bowl vs out through wall or other to drain.

If it overflows into bowl it will keep filling.
Will need new rubber seal on valve.

If syphon is leaking and water goes into bowl then it will keep topping up. Won't be a showing signs of overflowing.
Will need new syphon.

This hiss / sneezing noise could be it topping up for lost water

Thanks both for your replies.
Problem has been solved now...it was the obvious thing really! A misbehaving electric toothbrush on the tiles above it was vibrating, the vibrations travelling down and echoing around in the little space between the cistern and the tiles behind it, and sounding like a wee burst of air + water. Like I said - obvious eh? :unsure:

Thanks for getting back to me on it, I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
1671703300909.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back