Myson Apollo 30/50 problem - gas valve / solenoid issue?

Is this a high resistance?
Or more likely to be a gas valve issue?
Getting cold here..

I dont what the exact resistance of your particular solenoid should be but no thats not a high resistance for a 230V solenoid at all

so as such. its probably not a solenoid issue and you may need the services of an engineer

someone on here may have the specs for that soleniod and advise better though

Matt

Sponsored Links
I think you're right matt1e. The resistance sounds reasonable to me.
So that leaves the gas valve as the most likely fault.
But are there any other posibilities I can rule out?

I measure 2.26k on the one on my boiler [an apollo] and 2.11k on a spare coil, they are common to a number of gas valves.

hope thats of help

Sparking no pilot but 240v at pilot solenoid.
Solenoids for these are 15 quid it is very rarely the gas valve only other thing it can be is a blocked pilot.
Simple swap the solenoids about if pilot now lights you know its a faulty solenoid .Takes 5 mins max to swap them over save all this fannying about

Sponsored Links
Just measured the resistance of a black solenoid on a new V4700E to be 1541 Ω .

But the resistances do vary a little between different examples so I would not expect 1700 to be indicating a fault.

But I dont encourage DIY gas work. I know its easy to change the solenoid but a DIYer cannot check the burner pressure afterwards.

Tony

Explain how burner pressure is altered by changing a solenoid on one of these ?

These are permanent pilot boilers - the pilot needs to be alight first. You need to sort that out first, maybe it needs a thermocouple.

My 'couple of k' guess was pretty good, eh? Apology will be accepted.

Sparking no pilot but 240v at pilot solenoid.
Solenoids for these are 15 quid it is very rarely the gas valve only other thing it can be is a blocked pilot.
Simple swap the solenoids about if pilot now lights you know its a faulty solenoid .Takes 5 mins max to swap them over save all this fannying about
Pilot light is on, and have mains at solenid, but main burner will not fire.
Do not have second solenoid to try, but think 1700 ohms sounds ok.
Any other options before I bite bullet & get gas valve replaced?
Thanks for all info - is appreciated.

Apologises missed pilot on .Are you getting 240v at both solenoids

Explain how burner pressure is altered by changing a solenoid on one of these ?

GSR Para 26 (9) c

Or do you really think that replacing part of a gas valve does not constitute "work on the appliance" ?

For that matter, how can YOU be sure the burner pressure was correct before the OP started working on his boiler?

Are you saying that reg applys to people working in there own home and as i said how would this alter the gas pressure changing that part.

Mattle it does not have a button

Mattle it does not have a button

Are you sure?

V4700E1072.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back