myson apollo boiler fan not working, any help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Myson Apollo boiler not working. Any help/advise greatly appreciated.
The pilot is alight.
I can hear/feel the pump running but the fan doesn't seem to making any noise or spinning whatsoever.
Any idea what I should replace to make this work again. I can't afford an engineers price.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Sponsored Links
there are several checks/tests to undertake before deciding what part(s) to replace - however on apollos most of the bits are inside and as such you need a corgi engineer.

Thanks TW.
Dont suppose you know an engineer in the Chatham area that will have a look.
What sort of price for an engineer to come and see what's wrong. Any idea.

apollo fans very expensive around £150 to £200 just to buy it. :(

Sponsored Links
Done some investigating, took the cover off(I know I shouldn't. tut, tut) and put direct power to the fan. The fan spins freely at speed, so I assume that the fan is ok.
Could the problem be a faulty air pressure switch??
Thanks,
Dave

I take it it is the permenant pilot model. .
the fan is controlled from a fan timer board that allows the fan to come on at a slow rate every 10/15 minutes to clear products of combustion it also has another circuit in it to bring fan on at full speed when heat is demanded.

So if your fan is working when seperate power is supplied then it is very likely the fan board has gone.

Do not get this board mixed up with the other non permenant pilot apollos as they include an ignition circuit and are completly different.

Faulty air pressure switch stuck in the made position from previous on period of boiler will stop the boiler coming on again

This is the permanant pilot model.
Like I say, I've tested the fan with direct power and it runs fine.

I've also put a volt stick on the two purlpe wires that feed the fan, so this tells me there is power being supplied to the fan.

I am totaly confused now. Don't know what else to try.

Surely if the fan board was faulty, there would be no power to the fan feed wires???
Help, it's doing me head in!!!

Don`t use a volt stick they are a waste of time i have had them glow on a metal door handle in the middle of a wooden door , use a proper tester

Namsag, appreciate what you're saying re volt stick but I've also
tested with a multi-meter and getting 240v from fan wires with timer switched on or off as proved with volt stick.

Why is my fan still not running and boiler not firing up?

Is there something else that's telling the fan not to run?

When power is switched on/off you can see very slight movement of the fan. It turns probably 10mm-20mm. Tested fan again with direct power to it and it runs fine.
I'm now totaly puzzled!!
Any more suggestions please.
Thankyou.
Dave

its the fan board, its always the fan board when you get stupid things like this.

how did you test the fan wires? indivually to earth or across each other assuming one to be neutral? the fan timer board often has a neutral fault making you think you have 240v to the fan but what you really have is 240v in and out of the fan meaning the potential difference is the same making the fan stall.

where is the location of the fan board on the myson apollo fanfare boiler.

the only board I can find is right underneath in the middle behind a metal plate. This is connected to 6 wires(i think)via a male/female connector.

There's not very many components on it. Would this be the fan board?

where is the location of the fan board on the myson apollo fanfare boiler.

the only board I can find is right underneath in the middle behind a metal plate. This is connected to 6 wires(i think)via a male/female connector.

There's not very many components on it. Would this be the fan board?

yes thats it. if you replace it you will need to cut off the wiring to the connector and splice it into the new board.

Thanks NICKSO,
cant I pull the connector apart male/female?

If I could work out how to include a photo of this part on here, would you be able to tell for sure if this is the board that needs replacing?
Thanks for your time and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back