Myson Apollo Fanfare 15/30s boiler - not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening people,

Our prehistoric boiler has ground to a halt. The Pilot light is lit, but it's not doing a great deal, the unit itself is stone cold, and needless to say there's no heating or hot water. It seems to be making a ticking noise from the control panel.

I've booked an engineer to come out (hopefully he's a decent one, I've done some research but have never had to book my own one having rented houses previously).

Has any of you lot any idea what the problem could be, just so I sound slightly knowledgeable when he turns up.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
One possible problem could be the fan, we had one of those boilers and the fan gave up the ghost giving similar problems to your's.

There is no point in guessing.

Find an engineer you trust and let him diagnose the fault!

Tony

With respect Tony, I don't know any engineers :) , and everyone we know either rents or has brand new houses with service cover on brand new boilers, so a recommendation is proving hard to come by. Thus I'm in the stage of trying to find an engineer I can trust. While I appreciate the vast majority of engineers out there are good guys, I don't know enough about the inner workings of a boiler to smell bullpoo if I'm told "the retracting floogalbinder has corrosion on the inner teflon coated return valve" :p Thus I'm just trying to get a few ideas so I don't look like mr gullible should I happen to have rang one of the small number of bad guys and he smells cash.

Thanks folks. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but even if I listed all the components in the boiler then that gets him no further forward! In any case he could do that himself.

I would have thought that speaking to someone on the telephone will give a pretty good idea of his professionalism within a few minutes.

Asking for their charging basis is always a good place to start.

I have no idea whats wrong in his case. In front of the boiler it will be immediately obvious.

I expect to be able to identify the fault in front of the boiler within 5-10 minutes in at least 90% of cases. Otherwise my fixed fee diagnostic charge would not be viable.

Tony

OP can you hear the pump at all .

you better hope its not the fan as these are now over the 200 quid mark

More like £250 I seem to remember the last time that I enquired.

If its anything significant then it might be time for a nice new efficient condensing boiler.

Tony

It's very very quiet to be honest guys, I can hardly hear anything at all from it. Usually it's a very noisy old thing. If I had to describe the only sound it's making, then I would say it's a fan noise, it sounds more like a whir and on closer inspection balanced on me tool box, it sounds as though it's coming from the top of the boiler next to the Flue. I certainly can't hear any pumping going on if I'm honest. The boiler itself is stone cold.

I'm preparing for the worst, I'm on my backside financially, but got kids in the house, and if I need to ramp up the credit card by another £2000 so be it (sigh). The old boiler is overdue a service, and the motorised valve has been buggered for some time anyway.....Got two engineers coming over the weekend (today's appointment had to cancel), one saturday, one sunday. If they quote under £300 for getting it working and a service, I'll keep nursing it along, if it's any more than that, think I'll just have to bite the bullet, get a new boiler and live on beans on toast for a year (sigh) lol.

I'm preparing for the worst, I'm on my backside financially, but got kids in the house, and if I need to ramp up the credit card by another £2000 so be it (sigh). The old boiler is overdue a service, and the motorised valve has been b*****r for some time anyway.....Got two engineers coming over the weekend (today's appointment had to cancel), one saturday, one sunday. If they quote under £300 for getting it working and a service, I'll keep nursing it along, if it's any more than that, think I'll just have to bite the bullet, get a new boiler and live on beans on toast for a year (sigh) lol.

Obviously depending on what is wrong it ifs going to be under £500 or even a £1000 to repair it will still be cheaper to repair because a new one with an install and all that entails will set you back at least twice that amount and you will be able to burn an awful lot of gas with the difference.

I'm preparing for the worst, I'm on my backside financially, but got kids in the house, and if I need to ramp up the credit card by another £2000 so be it (sigh). The old boiler is overdue a service, and the motorised valve has been b*****r for some time anyway.....Got two engineers coming over the weekend (today's appointment had to cancel), one saturday, one sunday. If they quote under £300 for getting it working and a service, I'll keep nursing it along, if it's any more than that, think I'll just have to bite the bullet, get a new boiler and live on beans on toast for a year (sigh) lol.

Obviously depending on what is wrong it ifs going to be under £500 or even a £1000 to repair it will still be cheaper to repair because a new one with an install and all that entails will set you back at least twice that amount and you will be able to burn an awful lot of gas with the difference.

I'd be reluctant to spend that much on it. We were hoping to replace it next year anyway, as we need rid of the green tank to jiggle a few partitions around and make a bedroom more useable. It's just awful timing as I'm currently heavily 'invested' in blooming santa and his sudding elves lol.

A big group thanks to anyone that replied. I managed to get an engineer out, he's doing a good deal on a new combi boiler with some the radiator and pipework moving thrown in, and a decent parts and labour warranty....so we've decided to skint ourselves for a while and get it done. It also means we can make more progress with the rest of the house as I needed rid of the green tank to maximise our space. The old boiler was going to cost far more than I wanted to spend, given we'd want a combi in next year anyway....just means extra belt tightening for now lol. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back