Myson Apollo Fanfare 15/30si

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My 26yr old Myson Apollo Fanfare has just died. Had a registered gas man out who diagnosed it as a broken fan. He explained that these are particularly expensive to replace (£220+ just for the part) so including the labour cost and a service I'm looking at well over £400.

I just wondered whether I could buy the fan assy minus the scroll? These are selling on ebay for about £50... (not sure whether I'm allowed to send a link on this website?).

Also, he told me that the install is particularly easy (3 screws) so I wondered whether it's worth me trying to fit it to save on labour costs? The boiler hasn't been serviced for a while so I plan to try to install it myself and then get someone out to service the boiler to ensure it is safe. Obviously if I open the boiler and have no idea what I'm looking at then I won't even bother.

I just wondered whether anyone else had replaced one and how difficult a job it is. I've read conflicting reports.... Any advice would be gratefully received.

Do feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid in trying to install it myself.

Sponsored Links
Do feel free to tell me if I'm being stupid in trying to install it myself.

Don't tempt me ;)

Why not buy the fan and get your service man to fit it when he's doing the service? He won't give a warranty on the fan as he did not supply it.

fan is easy to change but do you know what to check after fitting ? the apollo is a positive pressure boiler and are known to have problems with the emissions,

Sponsored Links
Not sure about it being a positive pressure case. Looking at the exploded diagram I would say not. In any case best left to a pro.

I thought not too.

But regardless no DIYer should ever open the combustion chamber or replace any gas related parts like fans etc.

Tony

Not sure about it being a positive pressure case. Looking at the exploded diagram I would say not. In any case best left to a pro.

It's not.

Oh here wait a minute!! Some tozzer from the combustion chamber pot will be along directly saying this shouldn't be on a public forum....... :LOL: :LOL:

Thank you to everyone who has responded. What a great forum.

I'm minded to just pay a pro to install the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back