Myson Housewarmer 55 electrode problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Myson Housewarmer 55 back boiler which was installed in 1993. It was serviced last week but during the service the electrode broke.

My engineer ordered a new one but when he came to fit it today it was quite obviously the wrong one and was a different size and shape. He said it was the only part he could get and he said I'd have to find a replacement myself.

Here is a pic of the old electrode

http://img651.imageshack.us/i/electrode.jpg/

Here is a pic of the replacement that doesn't fit.

http://img249.imageshack.us/i/photogv.jpg/

Can anyone please advise where I can get a replacement electrode from please?

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction. The boiler is fitted with a legend fire so I toggled the box and got the part number...

Not a very helpful engineer! Whats his firms name?

At the very least he could have asked on here as you have done.

In any case I think that one is used on several different boilers.

Its quite common for parts to break when an appliance is serviced. My view is thats unavoidable but when they are not available it creates a difficult situation for the customer/engineer relationship.

To set out the situation clearly I always advise the customer before I start that some parts are not available and that we only work on the appliance at the customer's own risk.

Tony

Sponsored Links
the electrode part number shown for your bbu is the same your engineer supplied, has he tried to actually fit it ?

http://www.heatingreplacementspares...pid=123173&pt=ELECTRODE&ptid=123173|ELECTRODE

That is the direct link to the item ... Having checked the Part No. I see it is 232326POT which matches the part he said would not fit. (as per the photo of the bag I photographed when he brought it round) The part is a totally different shape to my broken part so I am very confused!

It was Hereford Boiler Services by the way. A firm I have never had a problem with in the past...

If the currently sold part is unsuitable as a replacement then the engineer should take it up with the manufacturers ( now Potterton/Baxi I think ).

This does sometimes arise with old appliances.

Because the part is cheap many engineers dont bother to follow it up and it would not surprise me if the wrong part has been supplied for some while!

Tony

is it deffinetley an electonic ignition h/warmer?

do you have a manual gas valve and sparker?

Thanks Tony ... I'll get back to Hereford Boiler Services ... and ask them to chase it up ...

and BingoBongo it is definitely electronic but I dont know anything about gas valves so dont know about that bit ...

there are 2 electrodes for the elecrtronic

1 for the circular burner and 1 for the flat semi circle type

the part number you quote has been replaced by the number supplied by your engineer so it looks like the right part.

Yeah. I think the engineer saw it was a slightly different shape and gave up before attempting to replace it.... I'll get them back up ...

It was serviced last week but during the service the electrode broke.

OP, it is not your job to find the part. You called a gas installer to service your boiler. He has no right to expect you to get a part that he broke. I trust you did not pay him for the service.

Did he smoke bomb the chimney and carry out spillage test? If not, you want to call his boss and complain. Maybe even call Gas Safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back