"Myson Housewarmer 55" back boiler- fire question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all.

My first post, here.

I've got a "Myson Housewarmer 55" back boiler, with the front-end being a Emberglow II gas fire. The fire is on it's last legs, and my other half hates it. Apparently the back-boiler has a good few years in it.

Does anyone know where I can get a "Windsor" gas fire, that is compatible with this back boiler?

I notice that some fires are available called "Windsor", but they are brand new and not what I'm looking for. The Windsor I want has to work with the back-boiler.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately with the age, of your back boiler a replacement fire front will be out of the question :cry:

Dave,

Thanks for replying. As the back boiler is fine, would it not be possible to find a fire somewhere and put the two together?

Cheers,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
The only fires you will be able to put on it will be actual fires designed for the housewarmer back boiler and they will be few and far between although they will look more or less exactly the same as fires of the same name there are little differences with them that stop them being fitted to the back boiler.

Emberglo is an ugly fire but if you clean the glass up with Brasso and get a new set of coals or spray them with appropriate paint it will look better.

The Windsor was one of the ones that were compatible, and is listed on the front of my Housewarmer 55 manual. The Emberglow II is cosmetically fine, but my other half hates it, and it looks like it may have problems with CO. I just wondered if anywhere exists that can source second hand fires, of this vintage.

Cheers,

Chris.

It seems to be impossible to manage to put together old boilers and fires and purchasers. There was a firm for old colour bathroom suites in case you broke your avocadro basin. Dont know if they are still in business as there are thankfully not many avocadro suites left !

CORGIs are reluctant to fit old gas appliances in case there is a fault which they have not spotted

AND

there is more profit in fitting a new boiler than assing about with an old one for a mean customer.

Tony

Sounds like you are still missing the point A fire that goes onto BBU and a normal fire are 2 different fires although they look exactly the same and have the same name. They cannot be mixed it has to be the specific model and they cannot be adapted

Sounds like you are still missing the point A fire that goes onto BBU and a normal fire are 2 different fires although they look exactly the same and have the same name. They cannot be mixed it has to be the specific model and they cannot be adapted

The point is, I am looking for a fire that WAS designed to go with the HW55 BB. I am well aware that you can't just put a normal gas fire in it's place.

I'll check the link-out, although will prob pass on the avocado bathroom stuff :)

Cheers,

Chris.

I am in a similar situation with my dearest. Front is hurting her eyes! Would it be feasable to detach the Emberglow bit, cap it off somehow, and put some kind of a decorative mesh thingie over the front of the fireplace? Out of interest, can the emberglow hit be sprayed/sexed up/pimped up e.g. different colour or even boxed in somehow? Heeeeeellllp! :eek:

Thanks for the quick response. The situation is that the back boiler was installed in such a way that it sticks out about a 50cm from the wall, including the actual emberglow hood. This means that there is a gap of about 20 cm between the wall and the Emberglow hood. The whole BB unit use to be encased in a large brick construction, spanning the width of the chimney breast, which took up a lot of the already narrow living room (also note, next door's back boiler sort of sits next to mine in a staggered kind of arrangement, seemedly sharing the same chimney breast). Short of having everything reinstalled, is there any reasonably cheap, space saving solution to this? e.g. leaving the current installation and perhaps sealing the gap between the emberglow and the wall? Is it a brick job or should we find some sort of perforated metal material to protect that section? your advice will be much appreciated. Love,
E.

hi all. don't suppose anyones got a link for the installation and servicing manual on the housewarmer 55 elect and emberglow front. struggling to find one
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back