Myson Orion buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Myson Orion boiler which buzzes when in operation, It all works fine but there is a distinct electrical buzzing sound similiar to a transformer at a electricity substation. when it is heating water. when removing the bottom consumer front panel there is a honeywell box with the start plunger and the thermocouple coming out of it. I think the sound is coming from within this honeywell box , would it be worth repairing the module by a corgi engineer or seeing as the boiler is old and gets slagged off on all websites get it replaced with a new condensing system

Sponsored Links
the buzzing could be the solenoid. it sounds like you've got the square green push button type gas valve. if you have, the noise could indicate that the solenoid is working but on it's way out. you can replace the solenoids on those valves and they're only about £18 and easy as pie to replace.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................pie............!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_foz69 said:
would this be something I can do myself, ihave replaced some of the rads and the diverter valve previously , or should I get the corgi registered fitter to come out.

you can do it yourself. what kind of pilot button has the gas valve got green and square or grey and round?

weargas said:
the_foz69 said:
would this be something I can do myself, ihave replaced some of the rads and the diverter valve previously , or should I get the corgi registered fitter to come out.

you can do it yourself. what kind of pilot button has the gas valve got green and square or grey and round?

It is green and square. would i need to replace the whole unit as it appears to be split into two or three units.

cheers for all your help as well

Sponsored Links
taking it that you've removed the plastic cover,
the solenoid is the barrel shaped thing with 2 wires attached to it. the clip that holds it on is a thin "L" shaped piece of metal that is pushed in sideways between the solenoid and the metal bracket that surrounds it. with the electricity supply switched off, disconnect the 2 leads from the solenoid. using a small screwdriver push the clip sideways to slide it out. you can now pull off the solenoid and it's bracket. slide the new solenoid (and old bracket) onto the shaft noting that there is an indentation on the gas valve where the location pin on the solenoid will sit. clip on, wires on, power on.

honeywell solenoids are around £18, take the old one with you to make sure you get the right thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back