Mysterious leak. What can i do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I ripped up the carpet of the ground entrance to my flat after detecting a musty smell and noticing a wet patch. Most of the concrete was damp excluding a small area stretching about 1 meter from the front door. I checked the stairs for damp and they are dry from the second step up. I have a radiator in the entrance hall and i've checked this pretty thoroughly for leaks but have not found anything.

I dont have access to underneath the stairs as i live above a shop.

I left the carpet pulled back overnight but have not noticed any puddles forming.

Can anyone advise on how i can locate the source of the leak?

Is there any point in caling out a plumber if the source of the leak is not evident?

Sponsored Links
are you heating pipes in the concrete floor? It could be leaking in concrete if they are. Are you sure its not bad weather seal around door?

The central heating pipes are not in the concrete, they travel from the raidator straight up the wall and disappear into the ceiling (1st floor of flat). It might be that other water pipes are in the concrete though.

I'm pretty sure its not a bad weather seal as only dry section of concrete is directly in front of the door.

sorry I can only suggest calling in somebody local to help then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back