Futile tracing of leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to trace the source of some dampness in a bathroom where a partition wall joins the ceiling. I have removed the plasterboard from this area and also a couple of floorboards (entirely dry) from the above floor (which is a kitchen). There is a 15mm copper pipe which runs at right angles to the damp patch but this is as dry as a bone and there are two other 15mm copper pipes (radiator) that run parallel but a couple of feet away from the dampness; likewise entirely dry.

The central heating and hot water have not been on for several months, currently the boiler is not operating and is awaiting repair. As no evidence of the source of this dampness can be found is it possible that it could only be apparent when the pipes get hot ie a soldered joint only leaks slightly when hot? Admittedly this does not explain why the area of plasterboard described still feels damp. :confused:

Any tips on leak detection would be favourably received.

Sponsored Links
Logical thinking required. :rolleyes:

No leak and yet it's damp, em spilt water perhaps, washing machine leaking, something thats not use 24/7.

Condensation dripping off the cold rising main perhaps, dripping from a low point?
Water softener discharge not going where it should at 2am?

doitall said:
Logical thinking required. :rolleyes:
Worth a try. :)
doitall said:
No leak and yet it's damp, em spilt water perhaps, washing machine leaking, something thats not use 24/7.

Good idea, DIA, think I will try running the washing machine as it's pretty near to the described damp area. I haven't checked the waste pipe but I would expect to find that pretty dry as the retained water would most likely have evaporated over the recent months.

meldrew's_mate said:
Condensation dripping off the cold rising main perhaps, dripping from a low point?
Water softener discharge not going where it should at 2am? .

Can't see anything like condensation but I will check it out. There is no water softener.

Good thinking, chaps. :)

Sponsored Links
Still have not been able to determine the source of the leak, but I am sure the central heating pipes can be eliminated from suspicion as they have stayed completely dry since I last posted. I have run the washing machine with no problem and the kitchen sink is absolutely leak free.

What I now suspect could be the problem is the fridge/freezer though this has not been on for the previous three or four months. The door on the freezer does not close properly as the seal is defective. Is it possible that if the freezer had been left switched on with a defective door seal that water would start to leak? It might be thought that an obvious check would be to switch on and see what happens, but so far I have not been able to spend long enough at the property to attempt this and see the results over a period of a few hours. The ff is very close to the damp patches. If it were the likely cause of a leak would these patches have remained damp in the plaster of the ceiling below for very long (seeing as we have had a lot of hot weather recently)?

As usual, any advice much appreciated. :)

Ver`likely mettey.yourn frijefreezer`s not a mucher ;) Ashdown for`st dialect an` diagnosis in one :LOL:

Just_back_from_the_pub said:
What I now suspect could be the problem is the fridge/freezer though this has not been on for the previous three or four months. The door on the freezer does not close properly as the seal is defective. Is it possible that if the freezer had been left switched on with a defective door seal that water would start to leak?
If the fridge/freezer is on, water (from defrost function?) would drain into a plastic dish above the compressor, where it would evaporate. If the fridge/freezer is off all the accumulated ice would melt and run into this dish, but no compressor heat would mean it would overflow the dish and leak onto the floor.

Also if the door's opem while the ff is on, it's constantly condensing water from the air which is changing all the time in the ff. The heat from the compresssor might not be enough to evaporate it all.

Master`s ice house aint a mucher in this yer heat, neither :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back