MYSTERY FLOW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help i installed a new boiler when i first ran the system on existing radiators only the last radiator upstairs would work all the rest were cold so i drained the system down and found that the thermo vales were stuck closed on the other radiators so i solved that when i refilled the system on turned it on the downstairs radiators worked but the two upstairs were cold i tried closing the downstairs valves but the ones upstairs were still cold so i am at a loss help me anyone my email is [email protected]

Sponsored Links
BENNO123 said:
Can any one help i installed a new boiler when i first ran the system on existing radiators only the last radiator upstairs would work all the rest were cold so i drained the system down and found that the thermo vales were stuck closed on the other radiators so i solved that when i refilled the system on turned it on the downstairs radiators worked but the two upstairs were cold i tried closing the downstairs valves but the ones upstairs were still cold so i am at a loss help me anyone my email is [email protected]

Are they full of air?

Have you every come across things such as full stops and commas? They're great.

You say your system is free of air, but how can you be sure.
You may have bled the radiators and the pump, but that does not cover the whole of the pipe work.
Imagine filling your pipe work. Water comes down from a tank to a 'tee' to fill the system. But the circuit of pipes starts and finishes at that 'tee' so water flows in both directions. Agreed air gets pushed into radiators where in can be bled off, but pockets of air can get trapped between radiators forming an 'air lock'. The pump tries to push the water and air along to radiators but sometimes fails because the air pocket is too big and just compresses. It would take ages to bleed off the water to release an 'air lock' via the radiators.
I believe the best way is by removing a upstairs radiator and running off some water from both the flow side and the return side.(system off)
This way, the resistance has been removed and any air released.
You can then check the system, before replacing the radiator.

If there is no 'air lock' the other options are, valves closed or blocked.
Pipe work flowing to or returning from radiators blocked with sludge, so running off water as suggested will help to identify.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
THERE IS ONLY 4 RADS ON THIS SYSTEM , 2 UP 2 DOWN I KNOW THERE IS NO AIR OR BLOCKAGE I HAVE TRIED DISCONNECTING ALL THE PIPES ONE BY ONE AND FLOWING WATER THROUGH THEM .
COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM ?.........THE C H FLOW PIPE IS 22MM COPPER FOR 3 METERS THEN IT GOES TO 15 MM PLASTIC, IT IS THEN SPLIT INTO 2 AND ONE GOES UP TO THE CORNER OF THE FIRST FLOOR , AND THE OTHER PIPE IS FOR THE DOWN STAIRS.
THESE 15MM PIPES THEN DOWNSIZE TOO 8MM MICROBORE AND IT IS THESE PIPES WHICH GO OFF TO FEED THE RADIATORS AND IT IS THE SAME ON THE RETURN SIDE OF THE SYSTEM . COULD THIS BE WHY THE RADS UPSTAIRS ARNT GETTING WARM . TOO MUCH LENGTH OF 8MM MICRO BORE
ACTUALLY THE INTERNAL SIZE OF THIS MICRO BORE IS 6MM

You seem to have the idea about stops and commas, now it's just turning the CAPS LOCK off.

For what it's worth I'm inclined to agree your 8mm pipe could mean the water is taking an easier route. Your post implied you were using an existing system but with a new boiler. Now it's not clear if the pipe work has been changed.
Although you have run water through a pipe and its clear, that does not mean a 'air lock' cannot be formed.
There's a difference between applying water to one end of a pipe and it coming out at the other end. Or applying water to fill a continous loop when there is only an inlet and no outlet.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is no airlock i turned the boiler off and at the bottom of where the ppes go upstairs i disconnected the tee and the water gushed out from the upstairs radiators no air came out at all.
i done this with the flow and return .
The pipes are all from a earlier bosch 26cdi system which was stolen in a burglary?.
Should the 15mm plastic pipes go all the way to the rads then a short length of 8mm pipe into the vavles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back