Mystery leak in Roof between Velux Windows

I'm in the process of sorting a bodged Velux in my own house, if you looked at this video from 3:14 onwards it shows how the Velux kit is fitted. I'd be concerned about the thin slices of tile but I think your leak is probably the top part to the flashing shown on the clip at 4:47. The overlap for that part of the flashing kit is probably right where all the white gunk is in your pictures, I wonder if it is tucked under the top of the next piece of flashing rather than over?

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of sorting a bodged Velux in my own house, if you looked at this video from 3:14 onwards it shows how the Velux kit is fitted. I'd be concerned about the thin slices of tile but I think your leak is probably the top part to the flashing shown on the clip at 4:47. The overlap for that part of the flashing kit is probably right where all the white gunk is in your pictures, I wonder if it is tucked under the top of the next piece of flashing rather than over?

thank you

is there a way to check without having to take tiles off?

thank you

is there a way to check without having to take tiles off?
If remove the side trim rail from the Velux you can see if the flashing is actually there and you can see if the flashing pieces are overlapped correctly because they go up the sides of the Velux outer frame. Obviously the overlaps even on the frame part should not "catch" your finger on the way down but should do so on the way up. Try watching the clip a few times and you'll see what I mean. If it's anything more than an incorrect overlap, you will need to remove tiles but I suspect the slices may be just held by silicon, or if the roofer broke one tile "slice" but still had enough left to silicon in place to make it look like it was "ok". The leak is likely to be further up the roof than is showing inside though.

Sponsored Links
Poorly fitted skylights along with a poor roof / design
The tiles behind the skylights need to be cut back a couple of inches for drainage.

Poorly fitted skylights along with a poor roof / design
The tiles behind the skylights need to be cut back a couple of inches for drainage.

thanks for the reply

could you tell me more about how you feel the skylights have been poorly fitted along with how the roof is poor/design?

so I can understand as it’s not my area

cheers

A lot of people ignore the rain deflector requirements above these windows. We always make a point to deflect any rainwater around any Veluxes to prevent any water ingress from above the windows becoming a problem.

A lot of people ignore the rain deflector requirements above these windows. We always make a point to deflect any rainwater around any Veluxes to prevent any water ingress from above the windows becoming a problem.

Thank you

could you let me know in what way this hasn’t been done on my window?

I had a look ad per your suggestion and it seems that the flashing is installed correctly so I don’t ‘think’ that is the issue

I'll give it a go....

It will only be an issue should the roof leak above the Velux in any case.

ok thanks

I don’t ‘think’ it’s leaking from above the Velux as I poured a bucket of water over it the other day to check and it didn’t leak

UPDATE

so today with it being a warm day I thought it a good idea to experiment to see if I could locate the cause of the leak

I poured about 6 buckets of water:

down the sides of the Velux windows, on the top side of the Velux windows, on the Tiles surrounding the Velux windows, on the Flat roof above the windows (including the join between the felt and the lead flashing)

And the inside is bone dry, with no sign of a leak

I’m really at a loss as to what could be causing this

I appreciate all the advice I’ve been given so far, but is there anything I could have missed?

It only seems to leak when it rains (and not every time to the same degree)

tearing my hair out here

Wrong kind of water.
You'll need to mimic the rain. A spray on the flat roof and let it flow naturally.
It might take a while for capillary to happen

Wrong kind of water.
You'll need to mimic the rain. A spray on the flat roof and let it flow naturally.
It might take a while for capillary to happen

Thank you

is there a way you could suggest I might be able to achieve that?

I assumed I wanted to try and target specific areas in order to narrow down the location of the leak

if water goes everywhere, won’t that make it harder to figure out the leak location?

You have tried the velux more than once....A hose with a sprinkler attachment not aimed anywhere specific just on the flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back