Mystery leak in Roof between Velux Windows

You have tried the velux more than once....A hose with a sprinkler attachment not aimed anywhere specific just on the flat.

ok thank you

will try that

I don’t know if I mentioned but the flat roof has its run off at the front, so any water that goes on the flat roof eventually runs off down the tiles past the Velux windows

so I will certainly do as per your suggestion and run water on the flat roof but it will eventually run down the tiles so I’m worried it will make it still difficult to pin point the leak location

Sponsored Links
yes i can see the way the roof falls.

to recap you have said you tried the velux twice i believe. so after trying the flat roof and it leaks then you know its the flat roof.

of course you could try the velux again with the hose , let it run naturally and keep clear of the flat roof. save that for after

Hello again

I’ve discovered a new damp patch on the ceiling higher up now.

I’m wondering if the issue is at the flat roof above as previously suggested and is running down between the windows to the original patch I found

there is a vent centrally above in this area (one of three) and I’m wondering if the issue could be there

when it was installed retrospectively (after a building control request) the builder added extra layers of felt and bitumen paint around it, but I’m wondering if this could be the source

any thoughts?

Attachments

• C16B9067-DBEC-409B-B48A-356DDFEF815E.jpeg
    C16B9067-DBEC-409B-B48A-356DDFEF815E.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 8AB68C0A-9C69-4CD1-94F5-65542730A200.png
    8AB68C0A-9C69-4CD1-94F5-65542730A200.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 8AB89FC6-8762-4986-A786-ECB43CD050CA.jpeg
    8AB89FC6-8762-4986-A786-ECB43CD050CA.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 8EE02FCE-B1E6-4549-AAA9-711026EA17B2.jpeg
    8EE02FCE-B1E6-4549-AAA9-711026EA17B2.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks

would you say it’s a big job? Could just the front section of the roof be redone? (it’s only 2 years old)

And how urgent would you say based on the patches discovered over the last couple of months

the builder is away but says he can come back next month

To be honest all the felting looks poor never mind the vents.
Get a good felter to look at it close up

To give an update

the builder has returned and replaced the felt at the front section of the roof

I was on the roof with him and saw that the old felt had not stuck sufficiently at the front and had water underneath when pulled up. So it seems that your initial thoughts about the felt being the issue could well be accurate. So thank you for that

hopefully the replacement felt will solve the problem

as an aside, there was some evidence of water inside one of the vents, so it might be that some water is able to get in via a vent in very windy/heavy rain, but I’m hoping that’s minimal and rare and the main issue was the felt which has now been replaced

fingers crossed that does it

thanks for the help and I’ll update if there’s any more issues

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back