Mystery on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for some advice about flat roof.

I had it redone 3 years ago and up to Dec had been fine. In december during the very heavy rains water was streaming through the light fitting filling several buckets very dark/black water. A couple of weeks later during the heavy snowfall it once again leaked but this time round the edges of the ceiling quite a bit.

Since then nothing despite some heavy rain no further leaks or water seen. Despite no head for heights I decided to see what the problem was myself. When I got up there the bitumen sheeting appeared to be fine I could see no tears or lifting and actually looked a neat job. What did puzzle me was that in the centre there was some kind of access hole. It is circular and shaped like a small volcano about six inches across with the sides about 30mm high. In the middle is a 50mm hole which I could just get my hand in. I have no idea what its purpose is and whether this is the cause of my problems.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
sounds like this is the drainage hole where all the water from the roof runs out of.

I am assuming that the roof has 4 sides and no gutters ?

These are very prone to leaking around this if the felt has not been sealed to this outlet properly .

job cant have been done correctly.It should also be noted the water could be getting in anywhere and traveling to find the easiest exit ie your light fitting.Without seeing it or at the very least pictures its hard to say whats causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm looking for some advice about flat roof.

Ipuzzle me was that in the centre there was some kind of access hole. It is circular and shaped like a small volcano about six inches across with the sides about 30mm high. In the middle is a 50mm hole which I could just get my hand in. I have no idea what its purpose is and whether this is the cause of my problems.

Any ideas?
Bet it was a vent for the membrane on the roof - and it got busted somehow ( seagull :eek: :?: ) . should have a cap on it . More BS from Build regs :rolleyes: (my boy had 2 fitted on a 10 foot square flat roof extension - waste of time but has to be done )

Hi

Thanks for comments

I have created an album with pictures of vent.

The roof does have gutters at front edge.

Thanks

WTF is that supposed to be,ref the hole?The felting in general is also to a poor standard,its not been done by a time served felt roofer thats for sure.The sheets are running the wrong way,if the felt has not been nailed under the joints on the slope it could slide/slip in hot weather(by the quality of the work its unlikley they have done this).Also there should be a pencil line of bitumin along each seam.Where are the slates?there should be slates on the slope really.Nails and mortar all over the roof,not good.I would give this job by what i can see from the pictures 4 out of 10 mainly because im in a good mood.Seriously its guys like this that get guys like us a bad name and felt roofing a bad reputation.

It`s a vent for some soil pipe , probably got broke close to the roof way back - so they patched around it :cry:

It`s a vent for some soil pipe , probably got broke close to the roof way back - so they patched around it :cry:

That sounds possible as the particular room is a shower and toilet and next door is a toilet. I know that there is a space between the two rooms which contains a soil pipe.

I put my hand in partialy and couldnt see the remains of any pipe. If the pipe is missing I assume its allowing water to enter when it is heavy enough to get over the raised surround and getting into the space above the ceiling.

Any suggestions as to how I need to deal with this. I suppose that putting a pipe into the hole and sealing it would stop the water going in but whats the implications for the soil stack and would it need some kind of cap.

Thanks for your help

Could be a tricky one - it`s probably a iron pipe to be broken like that and then covered to make the little "volcano" . Needs some more detailed looking at . Try taking various measurements across the roof and transposing them indoors to find the exact location of the pipe inside :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back