Mystery pipe under brick pathway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The brick pathway at the side of my house has a few subsided bricks.

When I lifted the bricks I found this pipe. It seems to be half filled with sand.

Is this some sort of drainage? Should I unblock it?
Or should I just fill this up with sand and put the bricks back?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a drain or soakaway(could be redundant), if you have had no problems with regards to drainage, I would leave it as it is for now.
I guess the sand would be from when the blocks were laid.

Drainage has been fine outside.

One thing that might be related. When we recently had heavy downpour we also took up the carpet in the living room and one of the floorboards near the fireplace was damp.Since then the wood has dried.

It might be a coincidence but on the other side of the wall where this wet floorboard was is the pipe I've found under the paving. Could this be related?

Sponsored Links
Probably no then. If it is drainage, a downpipe would almost certainly have been connected to it in the past. Assuming any close by roof drains somewhere else nowdays I think you can safely ignore it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back