Mystery stop cock??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in trying to fix my combo boiler issues in my other thread (https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...sure-expansion-vessel-or-filling-loop.479830/) I went to turn off the mains water supply under the sink.

There are two stop taps. One is fully open and provides mains water to the house, but there is a second vertical one that runs up along the inside back wall of the house. This is closed tight, but when I open it, I can hear water running through some pipes. I've got no idea where this could be running to! Does anybody have any idea what this might be for and (more importantly) where that water might have ended up? Pretty sure it wasn't coming back down the drain...

Sponsored Links
Well I have no idea either! I have never been to your property.

But it is very likely that is is something that is not needed and more.

If you really must find out then leave it turned on and look around for water leaking. Could be in the loft or even outdoors. Be prepared for much damage to ceilings or decorations.

Good practice would have been to cap off any open pipe. But some plumbers are very lazy.

Sure you still want to know?

Tony

Haha yeah, I'm investigating whether there's any water in the house. I just wondered if there might have been a common reason for a separate stop tap on old heating systems or specific appliances?

Sponsored Links
If your combi boiler replaced an old heat-only boiler then perhaps there's a disused cold water storage tank in the loft? That stopcock could be in the feed to the tank.

It's just a regular brass tap, but here you go. Can't get my camera in any closer than that - there's too many pipes and cupboards in the way.

Right, I'll have a look in the loft for any signs of a water.

Attachments

• 33572042611_9622df0203_o.jpg
    33572042611_9622df0203_o.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 112
It'll be for the rooftop swimming pool :sneaky: Or it will be soon ;)

Honestly, without being onsite and tracing the pipework, it's really impossible to tell.

Great thanks for the help guys - looks like I'm on the hunt for soggy walls or ceilings! :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back