Nail heads in wall - rust through paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just stripped some of that thin polystyrene off a wall in my house to discover the wall behind has about 25 large nails embedded in it. These have started to rust.

They are large rectangular 'brads' which have been cut flush with the surface of the wall. The wall is cinder block - bonding plaster - skim.

I'm worried they will rust and marks will appear on our new wallpaper if I don't treat them in some way.

I've tried bashing them in further to fill over, but they just deform and don't move.

Any suggestions what I can do? Is there something I can paint over which will seal them in effectively?

If I can avoid digging 25 holes in the wall in order to get enough purchase to pull them out I'd really like to!

Many thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
You could also touch the nail heads with an angle grinder so that filler can be applied, then sanded and oil based paint.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hmm, that would probably give a better finish, but never having used an angle grinder I think I might end up with Zorro-esque gouges across the wall!

I'll try the simple method first and see what it looks like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back