Shed cladding - stop nail rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've just had to replace some of the cladding on my shed. Nailed the boards on and I need to get them protected asap. I coated (x3) the boards with preservative, but I want to make sure the nails don't rust through onto the paint as I've had before. What do I use on the nails? I've read oil based paint/exterior caulk/knotting solution.....what can anyone recommend?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
bit late now

round here (coastal) we use stainless. Roofers formerly used bronze.

I hope you used, at least, galvanised nails?

Sponsored Links
What about a rust killing metal primer?
I'll have a look for one, many thanks

bit late now

round here (coastal) we use stainless. Roofers formerly used bronze.

I hope you used, at least, galvanised nails?

Hi, nope, fraid not. The rest of the shed (80% of the shed) wasn't put together with stainless/galvanised and I'll have to treat all the nail heads before painting it - the shed was stained previously. I painted another shed of mine and it seems that when you paint them with a water-based paint it's that which causes the reaction and rust. Or maybe with a dark wood stain, you just don't see the rust trails down the shed, but when you've painted it a light colour you certainly do. At the moment I'm leaning towards cleaning and sanding the whole shed, then sinking the nails below the surface where necessary and then using some decent exterior caulk before priming and painting. I just wondered what the "standard" way to do it would be. But maybe I'll use a rust killing metal primer.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back