Nail pullers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me whether nail pullers are a worthwhile purchase. I'm looking at:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=748

Going to be using it to pull up floorboards (or more specifically chipboard). It seems quite expensive for what it does but it has to be better then struggling with a crow bar ripping (and ruining) boards up.

Jack

p.s. Bought a DeWalt Circular Saw in the end.

Sponsored Links
I've got an ancient one of these:
pri150.jpg

which works OK. I see they do one for about £11 which also looks OK. I'm a plumber. I usually use those flat bent pry bar things, and an excellent "shark grip" crow bar which is bent unusually so it gets under the far side of the board.
Chipboard is of course orrible. I have used a cheap 5" holesaw to cut out replaceable discs. Big enough to join a pipe through.

For posh work I made a gaurd out of L shaped steel - about 20mm x 15mm by 3mm thick, in ection. With a couple of inches cut from the shorter leg, I push it into the crack between boards and it gives you something metal to lever against rather than the next board.

I have the same tool as ChrisR and they're very good but having said that you might find you have to hit them hard as chipboard is a harder material plus the losthead nails sunken down further.I use a heavy duty thin nail punch then punch the nails in BUT you must sure no pipe/cable underneath.The first one will be difficult to move as it's T&G,should be easier after that.

Thanks for the advice guys, just a few questions if I may..............

* Is that a Priory Nail Puller in the picture?
* Is there a URL where I can see the £11 nail puller?
* Chris, you mention using a holesaw to cut into chipboard, when you make the discs how do you fit these back into the chipboard?

One again many thanks,

Jack

Sponsored Links
The cheapest one I could find see here.
The picture you see in ChrisR post are approx £25,see this for how to use it.

Jacko see the properties of the links for the urls.

I put the discs back onto a foot or so of 2x2. Couple of screws each end and one in the disc's drill hole

it would be handy to have nail pincers for pulling out nails ,the ones you cant get out just puch them through,good idea to have many different tools if you are doing DIY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back