"Nail sickness?"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're buying a late 1800s detached house, it's quite substantial but fairly simple in shape... a big square box with another long thin one attached (kitchen,etc).

The roof is original and when our surveyor phoned to give me the key points this is one thing he raised... propensity for sliding slates and possible "nail sickness" which I assume simply means the nails are rusting away and the slates are holding themselves in place? He mentioned the back-mortar is missing in many places or loose/crumbling.

There was a very bad gale over the winter and it survived but longer term is an issue. He mentioned one solution is to basically re-hang the slates... take them off, install new battening (address any hidden issues to the main timbers) and put them back on. I think I understand all that as a layman - is this basically the same as having a new roof except we reuse our slates so the job is the same size? Or is there a difference in approach? Other than cost issues (let's come on to that) what are the pros and cons? Can a roof be 'patched up' other than the odd slate or is it basically an all-or-nothing job?

Now, on to costs which is a factor as we've agreed a purchase price (north of £500k). My late parents had their roof replaced on a substantial Cornish farmhouse about 3 years ago. It's a very similar age and they had all the slates replaced brand new. I seem to recall it cost about £5000 with a local guy but I might be mistaken. Does that sound a reasonable kind of ball-park figure?

Back onto the re-hang vs brand new issue... how does this impact costs? You've got to buy new slates but then old ones are in demand for repairs and renovations. Our place is not listed so we can go brand new or do what we want.

Sorry for the long question but there's a fair bit of information. I would not necessarily say we want to go haggling on the price as it was quite clear the roof was old and would require maintenance... or should I? I'm not looking to find things to knock the price down, just after suggestions on likely costs and what others have/would do in this situation.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
On old properties you can find that the existing slates are good, thick, Welsh, hundreds of years left in them and worth a small fortune. They can be better than any new roof covering you'll get off the shelf. Hence the suggestion to rehang existing but on new battens/felt.

Cheers. And this would basically be "a new roof" but using my existing tiles? i.e. they take them all off to start with and end by putting them all back on again just like tey would if using new-bought tiles/slates?

It is very much going to be a suck it and see job I'm afraid. The nails tend to go before the slates, but you can find that you loose about 25% of the tiles as well. But if it's just the corners that have gone, then you can redrill the fixing holes in the old slates. You'd need to make sure you can get replacements, otherwise it would be a case of sell the old tiles, and put the money towards new ones, but the roof may not support changing from slate to cement tiles, so you'd change to Eternit tiles instead.

If you take a photo of the roof, and go around a few local roofers, then you can get some local prices to consider. But it's perfectly feasible to use the condition of the roof to haggle the asking price; I can guarantee the next byer would do just that.

Sponsored Links
It's just because it's very obviously the original roof so one would realistically expect such issues no? They have looked after it but made no pretence it had ever been replaced so shouldn't I have taken that into account when making my offer - which I kind of did?

An offer should be made "subject to survey". This means that the property looks okay, but a surveyor might spot things us mere mortals would miss, so you'd then use the surveyors report to renegotiate the price. Just as you intend to reinstate the old roof, there's nothing to say that the current owners hadn't already done that, so you could have made your offer on the basis that the roofs already been renovated.

If it's going to cost £5000 for a new roof, then you could offer to split the cost. It's up to you whether you decide to do so, but it's accepted practice.

I can't see marley eternit tiles sitting well on an old detached property (n)
a sure fire way to knock value of your property.
If you decide to re-roof use some quilted membrane like TLX gold
and think about adding some skylights.

!800s I would expect a reasonable slate had been used.
There is nothing wrong with re using the existing slate. provided they are good quality, and removed carefully.
They are likely to eclipse any cement fibre slate or concrete tile in looks anyway.
£5000.00 for a new roof and new slates.. must be very small!

Nope a big detached farmhouse. Not in the south East though... Looking online I've seen people say they were quoted 2-20k so it varies massively!

like to know the metre age
not being in the south east ? so materials are quarter of the price up north? think not.
just the new slate of the crappiest type would likely cost £1000.00 for a double garage plus vat

I didn't say my parents place was up north:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/61065473

There's not a great photo of the roof but from how new it is I just assumed they were new slates. Or would rehung slates be restored?

I suppose they might have sold the old slates too.

I think it's definitely advisable to get some quotes before you go much further. As Catlad has said, you wouldn't want Marley eternit tiles on that roof, and depending on how many slates need replacing, you could well get to 18K without batting an eyelid.

You also need to be careful with the quality of the slates that you get (either to replace the broken ones, or for a complete reroof) as there are a lot of cheap Chinese imports that have been know to fail after only a few years. Unfortunately, you may not know which way to jump until the roofers take off a fair section and find the condition of the existing slates. If the majority are reusable, then it may be that just one roof face gets done in the new slates, and the old ones are juggled onto the other faces.

Do you have any ideas about converting the loft, as this would be the time to think about some of the work required ie insulation as well as loft windows.

south west then.. even so there's probably £1500.00 of scaffold .
cant see what slate its is exactly but i dont think cement fibre.
guess 2500-3500 250x500 slates @ £1.00-£1.70 european
underlay, batten, adds up ?? even in cornwall. plus vat of course.
anyway, nothing wrong with reusing the existing as long as they are good quality.. thickness has nothing to do with a slate being good or bad by the way.
get a good knowledgeable company to survey it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back