mid terrace roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just after a little advice regarding my roof.

Its a 1900's mid terrace with a slate roof. I am wanting to have it stripped and new batterns and breathable membrane used. Would prefer to keep as slate but most people on my road have had concrete tiles instead. I think this due to price but does the roofer take off the cost of the slates he has salvaged from the roofing price. Another issue is that will my rafters which are 8cm x 5cm laid over 2 purlins each side be able to cope with the extra weigh. Also have an issue that at the back of house no scaffold can be erected due to extension on our houses.

Thanks Martin.

Sponsored Links
If your slates are good, put them back on... the others in the street will likely regret not doing so one day

Yes, if it is an existing slate roof and you want to keep it slate then why not.

After 120 years the slates may well be at life end.

You'll need a building regulation application for the rafter loading and ceiling insulation. Don't use any firm that "forgot" to tell you this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Looked at the tiles and yes it all shiney and new but not to my taste but probably my budget lol. Want to keep the slates as i have Sash windows installed. Getting the front K rendered and going to put up stone tec false headers and sills so dont want the modern look of tiles. Plus both neighbours have slate so i guess easer for the roofer to cut in.

If you need new slates take a sample of your existing slate to your nearest Burton Roofing or similar roofing merchant and see what they can supply to match. Slates can be obtained from various quarries in different countries such as UK and Spain but you or your builder wouldn't deal directly with the quarries for roof slates for a house :!::)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back