cracked purlin structural failure

Only one of the 4 purlins is showing signs of bowing (now cracked). In the roof space originally there were no struts
when i said strut i mean strut. The building is about 5.6 mtr wide, quite a span for a 9 x 3 with no struts.
a rafter length of around 4 mtr and a purlin half way up .. wheres the other positioned?

Sponsored Links
the other purlin is located much closer to the eaves, I estimate about 18" above the current loft floor.
when i said strut i mean strut.
The problem for me is to understand what strut is as for me it is a generic term, but based on the sketch I attached I understand it is a timber support which is attached to a rafter directly under the purlin and runs at 90° to the rafter connecting to a floor/ceiling joist.

Its purpose would be to offer resistance to a purlin moving or deflecting toward the eaves is that correct ?
What kind of dimensions would this strut have for a 9x3 purlin ?
There would be two per purlin so eight in total or would only the upper purlin be strutted ?
In addition to struts the purlin/strut junction is braced to the opposing strut with a pitch to pitch "collar"
If one wanted to use the loft space as a livable space then the presence of struts and collars would reduce the useable space, how if at all could one provide the the suppport needed without these components ?

a purlin that low would be doing very little.
i would expect to see two struts each side at a minimum of 5x3. on the centre/top purlin.

Assuming the new floor joists are correctly sized and fitted then a timber ashlar wall would be fitted along with a suitable ridge beam
that would be designed by your SE

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
wonder why it is there then, could it be to do with the fact it was I believe once end of terrace ?
The floor joists are 200x75 C24,
do you mean something like in the attached picture? in this picture I do not see any evidence of a purlin it seems that this line of vertical struts is doing the work of a purlin is that correct ? They appear to be bolted to the rafters.

Attachments

• ashlarwall.jpg
    ashlarwall.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 75

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back