Nailed through centra heating copper pipe - advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My mum took it upon herself to sort out some creaky floorboards by renailing them to the joists (i think that's what they are) in the floor. As she was hammering away, she noticed water up from the hole into which she was hammering.

She has put a hole in the small copper pipe which feeds the central heating system. Not much water has come through.

I take it this is a plumbers job, and it's not like you can just tape up the hole? Is there anything we should do in the meantime before a plumber arrives? Will this bugger up the central heating because it's let in air?

Can anyone offer any advice on what would be the optimum course of action?

Thanks guys

James

Sponsored Links
DEpends what pipe it is. If it is a central heating pipe then turn off your boiler and drain down if you can. If it is a main pipe you will have to turn off water unless it is a tiny leak and you can live with it until your plumber arrives. :D

Ok, thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'm pretty sure it's a central heating pipe, and the leak is pretty small. We've got towels over it at the moment and they seem to be ok for the time being. We've turned off the central heating, but don't know how we would 'drain down' as you say. My mum and myself are both totally alient to plumbing y'see! As soon as she saw the water she was like :eek: and just started going mental, but I don't think it's a huge problem.

Just not looking forward to the call out fee! But that's the price you pay for not checking for pipes first I guess.

Thanks again,

James

A slight hijack for this post, but like the poster asks, what is correct precedure to drain all radiators in house if powered by combi?

Sponsored Links
Affix a hose to downstairs drain off valves and open.
Let some air in by unscrewing blanking caps on the sides of your upstairs rads.
Turn off boiler first. :D

If you are going to secure loose floorboards, without checking whats underneath. Never nail more than 25mm in from the edge of the board. Most good tradesmen will centre their piping in the middle of a board if possible. I wouldn't nail either, try screws, much less likely to come loose in the future.

I had a work colleague who nailed through his gas pipe, doing the same sort of thing as the originator of the post. It was a day or two before he noticed the really strong smell of gas. He had a lucky escape. He brought the pipe into work on day, nail was dead cente, could'nt have done it if you tried without the board in the way. :LOL:

How about the old self tapping screw screwed gently into the hole as a temporary measure ?

I did the same thing when I was working for a joinery. We were laying a new floor, screwing plywood down over the original boards.

When the plumber arrived he had a few tips. If it's a small leak, wedge a match stick or a similar small wooden pointed object in the hole and the wood apparently swells up to stop the leak temporarily.

I haven't tried it myself but I guess it's worth a try :D

Try very tightly wrapping some electricians tape around the hole having tried to dry area as much as possible - will not solve the problem long term but certainly give you breathing space - worked for me on plumbers advice. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back