NAILERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Been doing some research on nailers. Have read through posts on here but still have a few questions.

Basically, I have a lot of work in the house AND the garden to do.

The garden work will be a fair amount of fencing (featheredge) plus a largish shed which will be clad with shiplap.

The house will involve shelving units and largish wardrobes. There will also be a fair amount of 'finishing' stuff. I tend to use screws in construction but could use nails in the 'first fix' where necessary.

As you can see, I have, in effect, two sorts of jobs - building AND finishing. I have looked at all sorts of nailers (gas, non-gas cordless, air etc.) and I have yet to find one which can do both jobs. They appear to be either finish nailers or first-fix nailers - not both.

(a) Will a finish nailer with a bigger nail capacity be suitable for fencing, cladding and interior work? If so, any suggestions please?

(b) If the answer to (a) is NO then I am thinking it may be worth buying a compressor plus TWO nailers (finish and first-fix) Any suggestions as to compressors/makes of air nailers please?

Thanks very much in anticipation.

B

Sponsored Links
First fix nailer is too heavy for light fencing needs, likely to shoot thru the panels and kill the neighbours dog.
Would think a finishing nailer could do the jobs you mention.
They differ because of the need for the right tool, like using a sledge hammer where a pin hammer is needed, not going to do the job right.

Thanks foxhole.

So am I correct in assuming that a 16g nailer which can handle longer 'nails' will be the best for what I want (light fencing, cladding AND interior work)??

Whilst an 18g nailer would do the interior stuff, I believe it would be too 'lightweight' to tackle the fencing and cladding.

Having done a bit more reading, I now understand your point about first-fix which I agree I don't need. I have also read up on the 'g' differences and 16g appears my best bet.

Am I correct? If so, have you (or anyone else) got any recommendations please?

Thanks again.

B

FWIW: there is no way that a DIY working on their own house could justify the cost of any nailer (& expensive nails). The trend now is for cordless nailers unless you are involved in production carpentry - framing etc.

If you like to have tools as toys then perhaps start with a really cheap cordless and see how it goes.

Two of the best 18g air nailers are: Bostitch BT 1855 and the Makita AF 505.

Sponsored Links
FWIW: there is no way that a DIY working on their own house could justify the cost of any nailer (& expensive nails). The trend now is for cordless nailers unless you are involved in production carpentry - framing etc.

If you like to have tools as toys then perhaps start with a really cheap cordless and see how it goes.

Thank you for your input.

Not sure how you're getting on....I use a Makita GN900 (first fix) for feather edge and arris rail work. I have not suffered from the nails piercing through. I can only sing praise about this tool. I use 50mm HDG 2.8mm nails for exterior work, these have a good head and dont pull through, I found the 16g too flimsy for this job. This was a well priced piece of kit (£380) with a 3 year warranty in comparison to the Paslode @ £600, and is full lithium ion too!

Thanks vards01.

Despite the somewhat rude suggestion by another poster, I went ahead and eventually plumped for a Bostitch cordless nailer which, thus far, has done all that I asked of it.

I got it at a very reasonable price too so all good.

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back