Nailer for fencing and garden projects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As this post straddles two or three forums though I'd put it here.
Was thinking of buying an electric nailer, am currently building an 8' x 16' workshop and a couple of 10' x 10' decks. What size brads/nails would I need to fix the decking boards? Also can the nailer be used to fix feather boards to a fence, usually use clout nails but surely nailer brads or nails don't have a big enough head to hold the boards?

Screwfix have a nailer for £20, for an amateur tightwad like me that sounds reasonable, any advice would be most appreciated.
thanks
Glocko

Sponsored Links
A electric nailer would not be much good for your projects, the nail is the same as a panel pin.

You would need a air nailer & compressor or a paslode, all well over the £20 you mention.

The electric nailers are ok for small stuff like mouldings etc or holding a glue joint together while it dries.

I've never done decking, I thought it had to be screwed.

To do what you want you will need to spend approx £75-£90 on an air stapler that will take at least 40mm staples. Got one myself and it was well worth the money. The cheaper nail guns that fire 50mm brads aren't really that useful.

Sponsored Links
For £20 you could buy a reasonable hammer and nails for that job.
None of the brad nailers would be any good.
For a proper nailer (not brads) you will have to spend hell of a lot more plus would need a compressor as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back